EYP..what syptoms?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Katiee
Lively Laner

EYP..what syptoms?

Post by Katiee »

hi all, one of my girls has always been the cause for concern, but she has just stood stock still for ages in the past hour and keeps closing her eyes as if in pain. she has laid a number of softies in the past and this could be the same issue now. her vent is slightly open but her tail is up and her feathers are not ruffled. maybe its the usual problem,but I would be grateful for some advice please....many thanks ps, she is about 18mths old

sazchops
Legendary Laner

Re: EYP..what syptoms?

Post by sazchops »

In my experience the symptoms of EYP are, not laying for a while, a swollen warm tummy, yellow, yolk like poo that seams to dribble.
I lost my first chicken to EYP. She tended to stay in one place, dozing.
Fingers crossed you girl is better soon
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

She sounds like she may be trying to shift another softy. Especially if she's prone
to these. Some people advise a warm belly bath or sitting quietly on a warm
h/w bottle. Hopefully, if it is that, by the morning she'll have passed it & be back
to normal.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

thankyou both for your helpful advice. Evelyn seems settled in the coop, so will check her tomorrow...sorry about my spelling...more haste less speed.. )w(
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hello, are you sure she isn't noulting? We have a girl like that at the moment, she's been poorly for a few weeks now and he feathers have just started to come back. She spends most of the day standing with her head under her wing and just pecking a bit at food although we try to temp her with treats. It's so sad to watch {cry}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I would also give her a nice warm belly bath which will relax her and help to pass a softie if one stuck there.
How old is she? My top girl passed a few softies before stopping laying altogether and if coming into moult, as one of mine is, you will have seen the odd feathers that have been shed by her.
I hope she recovers {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

How do you make the hen stay in the belly bath? Just hold them there for ages? Just wondering!
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

A bowl of warm water and stand her in it press slowly on her back and press her down .
You can use some baby bubble bath ..They really do like it.
You then take her out and dry her maybe wrap her in an old towel and dry with a hair dryer on a low setting .
)piicy(
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Oh I see. Hope she gets better soon. My bluebell sounds a bit the same - tail down hunched up looking miserable. But she started doing it at the same time as the rainfall started, so I am pretty sure she is sulking!!
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

thanks for the reference to moulting.they have all just gone through a mini moult and Ev's feathers are back but beautifully soft and wispy..she seems better today but I can't be sure that she has laid for the last two days. she has been laying every other day but will keep an eye on things. sometimes you think you know who has laid...other times you don't !! she is a Warren and is top lady.. :-D