When will 'Mum' start laying eggs again?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
thebunster
Lively Laner

When will 'Mum' start laying eggs again?

Post by thebunster »

How long after the hatch will a broody hen go back to laying eggs again?

My Norfolk Grey hen is currently mum to a 6 week old chick - I guess it's too early for her to be going off to lay eggs, as she is still busy looking after her little one, but I was just wondering when she might start laying eggs again.

ulrikeelmleigh
Lively Laner

Re: When will 'Mum' start laying eggs again?

Post by ulrikeelmleigh »

Depends on all sorts, I think. My broody had her first chicks last year when she herself was barely 6 months old. She started laying when the chicks were about 4 weeks, looked after them for another 3 or 4 days, and then left them. This year she left her new chicks when they were about 6 and a half weeks old and started laying a couple of days after that... I read somewhere, that if a hen has only one chick, she might not abandon it, but carry on looking after it when she's laying again.
TheGreatEgg
Lively Laner

Post by TheGreatEgg »

My silkie raised 8 ducklings and started laying when they were about 8-9 weeks old. She still lives with them, but has stopped looking after them now.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

It does seem to vary doesn't it?! Misspiggy has only just left her chicks at 13 weeks,
and still hasn't started laying again yet. Last year my broody started laying again
when hers were 6 weeks old & she was still with them for another couple of weeks.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant