dramas with the broody

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
juilly
Lively Laner

dramas with the broody

Post by juilly »

So as per my post on another thread my little 22 week baby light sussex has gone broody.

We were all ok getting the eggs out and kicking her off her nest and all was going well - she was going back in to the nest less and less often BUT this afternoon we noticed her bum was really mucky and horrid and the flies were getting attracted to it so we decided that it was bath time to avert flystrike.

Bath went fine but I'm not sure about her bum, just under her vent. There was an area that wouldn't shift. I didn't go crazy at it but I don't know if its poo or a scab or something?

She also has a cut over her ear, it looks sore but quite clean. We are keeping her inside for a few nights.

Questions:

What do you think of her bum, ok or in need of another clean?
Should we be doing anything else for her ear?
Will all this stress stop the broodiness?

thanks lovely laners

{hug}
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)

juilly
Lively Laner

Re: dramas with the broody

Post by juilly »

oops would helped if I'd have added pictures!!

before the bath

Mid bath

Post bath

Cut by her ear

>eas1<
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
perchy

Re: dramas with the broody

Post by perchy »

Her vent doesn't look too bad after a bath, she looks like she has had a few pecks on her comb, its very small isn't it, but she is young, I would try and keep the cut clean and just keep an eye on it, bless her, she is having a tough time