Huge egg!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Al B
Lively Laner

Huge egg!

Post by Al B »

My husband has just phoned me to say that Aggie, who had sour crop and was hospitalised last week, has just laid an ENORMOUS egg and then flapped around the run clucking and crowing like mad - she must be so relieved to get it out of her system poor girl!

I am just so pleased that she has laid again as she hadn't laid for nearly a week. This one had obviously been brewing for some time judging by the size of it!

Hoping that it might be one of the elusive triple yolkers..........

Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Glad to hear she's doing ok now :-D

Did you weigh it? One of my girls just gave me a huge egg, over 90g, over 7cm in length and about 4.5cm in width. It bought tears to my eyes thinking about passing that one :shock:

cheers
Jodi
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

Can you take a pic of it? I love hearing about massive eggs!
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
melons
Legendary Laner

big eggs

Post by melons »

Jodi are you sure your keeping chickens & not Rhea's? blimey.
Cheers
mel x
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I've put a couple of pics in the album.

(Still can't just upload a pic onto the forum :oops: )

cheers
Jodi
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Al B

See my post of 22 Sept over the same subject, one of my Black Rocks laid me a 101gm egg, it was awsome, but it was a double yolker not a tripple. I know bigger eggs will have been laid, but it was just a shock to see this monster among the others. It has not affected the chook in any way, thank goodness.

)chu: Phil*
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

Unfortunately my husband decided to eat it before I could take a piccy or weigh it - but it was nowhere near as big as 101 gms. She seems fine and is back to laying normal sized eggs now.
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

lol Jodi That was a pretty biggun :-D
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Hi Phil

I knew there was a post about a huge egg and tried to find it, wow, 101g - I can't imagine what the chooks go through trying to pass these bigguns yike*

Al B, mine was a double yoker too, I thought maybe we'd struck the elusive tripple. OH tried to cook it in a normal size egg ring - ha ha, what a mess!

cheers
Jodi
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I thought I'd read somewhere that eggs are soft or slightly soft when layed - Does anyone know if thats true or are they solid when they appear?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Yes 101gms, and weighed on "good" scales to boot, so not an error in any way.

I was worried about the chooks health after laying this, had seen somewhere that sometimes the "bits" inside come through with the egg [A prolapse?] which can result in the death of the chook.

But all is well, all six are laying like little machines, no sign of the short days affecting egg production yet. I hope they do "slow down" I think a little rest will do them a power of good.

Phil*
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

just been out to the garden and looked into the ginuea pig hutch (the one nancy seems to have claimed as her own) and found this egg!
oh i did smile and thank her :shock: :-D
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

Wow - you should contact the vet if your guinea pig is laying those!!

One of my girls, Marge is now laying huge eggs on a daily basis - they are bigger than the extra large 'free range' eggs sold in Tesco and weigh on average about 90 gms. They are usually double yolkers too - no sign of a triple as yet.

My third hen who had been laying soft eggs which tended to get stuck, has now laid three lovely eggs on successive mornings - she has had a calcium boost using a liqiud supplement normally given to parrots and it seems to have done the trick. So now have three well hens all laying - thank goodness - as we are away next week and my sister is in charge!!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Well done your ladies!!! )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein