Keeping chickens - logistical questions!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Keeping chickens - logistical questions!

Post by Totally Scrambled »

kitla wrote:A bit extravagant maybe but for an easy life & if it suits your plan this place will
cut a weldmesh skirt to size for you, ready to peg down under your turf.
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenho ... _Runs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just had a look. Good idea if you want an easy life but with minimal effort you could get 20 feet of 1.6mm gauge weldmesh for just £21. It's 36" high so with a bit of snipping you could get three 10" wide strips 20' long each.
So you'd get 60' of skirt for half the price of what they sell 48' for.
Just a thought.
Dom
Ali Woks My World

sunnyskies
Learner Laner

Post by sunnyskies »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh my word kitla I wish you hadn't posted that because I am IN LOVE with those chicken houses but they are a bit pricey ... **counts my pennies** ... :oops:
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Hello welcome to the forum )wav(

Now when you're getting onto chicken houses that's a whole new load of decisions to make - plastic or wood/converted shed or coop - people do lots of different things.

Personally I've got a plastic house - the omlet and greenfrog ones are very good - and I'm glad I went for plastic cos of the dreaded red mite - easier to keep them at bay with plastic.

Having said that there are some lovely wooden houses too - decisions, decisions!!

Oh and if there's one tip I would give to someone it's if you do decide on a fox proof run do get one as big as you can afford and preferably six foot high (not the lower runs) just because they are so much easier to clean and the chickens will be happier cos you can put things in for them to play with and they can hop about onto branches and stuff. )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
sunnyskies
Learner Laner

Post by sunnyskies »

Hi Julie - thank you for the advice! I think it's now between the eglu and a very cute wooden chicken house that has a heart-shaped window (I'm so easily swayed ...) - but trying to be practical!

The benefits of the eglu so far as I can see are the plastic/easier to keep out red mite and the skirting/easier to keep out foxes ... So given I'm a total newbie and in this on my own, I think I might do that - plus at least I can get everything from omlet. At this point I don't have a car so can't travel to get chickens.

Thank you for all the advice everyone!
sunnyskies
Learner Laner

Post by sunnyskies »

(I am thinking about just getting a Cocoon hen house and just painting on some hearts ... ;-) )
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Totally Scrambled wrote:
kitla wrote:A bit extravagant maybe but for an easy life & if it suits your plan this place will
cut a weldmesh skirt to size for you, ready to peg down under your turf.
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenho ... _Runs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just had a look. Good idea if you want an easy life but with minimal effort you could get 20 feet of 1.6mm gauge weldmesh for just £21. It's 36" high so with a bit of snipping you could get three 10" wide strips 20' long each.
So you'd get 60' of skirt for half the price of what they sell 48' for.
Just a thought.
Dom

you're quite right dom but..crikey its really tough stuff to snip!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I got some of the skirting from Flyte of Fancy cos I want an easy life - its good quality and you get tent pegs with it to to peg it down - I've got it on the extension bit on my introductions coop which didn't have any skirting on it. They'll cut it to size for you if you ask. Does the job very well. )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."