Broody Chicken with Duck Eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Chris Elliott
Learner Laner

Re: Broody Chicken with Duck Eggs

Post by Chris Elliott »

Thanks serama1 for the photobucket tip )t'

Here's a couple of piccys I took yesterday of the duckies and I'll try and get some of them with mum soon :-D
ImageImage

Chris Elliott
Learner Laner

Post by Chris Elliott »

Here's mum with her duckies )w(

wendy

Post by wendy »

How beautiful. That could go on an Easter card.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Chris Elliott
Learner Laner

Post by Chris Elliott »

I've just been out with the camera taking some snaps of the duckies, interesting to see how much they grow and how fast >dowhat<
I haven't put them with the other chooks yet, anyone know how long before I can put them together?
The other chooks can see mum and the duckies so they're getting to know each other through the fence :-D
ImageImageImage
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh wow what a wonderful thread with gorgeous photos. Sorry, I am no use at all re your question but just had to do a bit of clucking over your lovely mum and duckies!
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Your photos are just so adorable. It is so sweet to see how chicken/duck doesn't matter at all. Her babies are her babies and that's all that matters. Those photos just tug on the heart strings. Please keep us updated.
Chris Elliott
Learner Laner

Post by Chris Elliott »

I just had a really strange experience with the chooks, I was out in the garden snapping away at the duckies when mum started making a deep growl like sound and looked up, immediately the duckies looked up, followed mum and all three cowered into the coop not making a single noise which is weird because the duckies cheep constantly.
I looked up and really high above gliding (not flapping) was a big bird of prey.

I've seen a buzzard in the garden before but this looked bigger considering how high up it was, I managed to get a snap and you can see another bird in the shot too so gives an idea of it's wing span. I'll attach it below.

The duckies knew straight away from mum it was potential danger which is interesting and yesterday I saw mum chasing off and pecking one of the local cats who has taken a keen interest in the duckies so a completely different way of protecting them.

Well they are all doing very well and I thought chickens were messy, well these guys love mud even more :-D

Here's a couple of piccys attached, they're getting their feathers coming through now and they even look ginger so maybe they were destined to be a family )c(
ImageImage
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Fantastic photos and great little story unfolding. Mum doing a grand job and those babies are just adorable

Great work )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It has been said on here that you shouldn't mix ducks & hens in the same run.

Not sure why, would it be because ducks need water and hens get waterlogged and drown easily. Or is it a disease thing.
Someone will remember.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire