Poorly Vera hen.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Re: Poorly Vera hen.

Post by RuthieG »

Well, this is what Vera just laid...... (It's not nice!) http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruth_goalb ... hotostream

And now Doris is laying shell-less eggs too. {cry}
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Crikey that's weird >dowhat< One of mine laid a lash once but it didn't seem the same consistency as that. Perhaps it is a lash :? Hope someone will be able to identify it for you.
LYN
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

I'm certain it's the membrane of an egg, there was egg white inside. It was actually quite tough to break apart, so hopefully the calcium is slowly building up. I've given her some cod liver oil today too, to help with the calcium absorption.
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

wow ive had a bit of that from marlene after she laid a lash but that is impressive to say the least yike* hopefully she will feel alot better for getting shot of it >fi<
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Rithie we had a lot!! of those from our April when she first got free and her pipes started packing up, and not long after she stopped laying thank goodness. We also had them from our Peggy Mitchel and her first mum said she had stopped laying.In fact in the 3 months Peggs was with us she never laid a proper egg, only those things.
Some of them had little yolks and some didnt but they were exactly like that and also April parted with some other strange things which i could never describe no wonder is there
Theres no wonder they feel poorly with them is there horrible things.
>fi< >fi< Vera feels better soon {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

Vera has always been such a good layer, fab eggs, fairly large. The shells started getting a bit wrinkly a few months ago, and I got some odd looking eggs. I really wish she would stop laying.

I think Doris has some shell/membrane stuck inside her, she's pooped egg white, then egg yolk, and a little more white with some poop in too. No sign of shell or membrane though. Bathed her twice this evening.......
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

My Alice layed like clockwork but when problems started I had a choice of some injections which can cause liver failure or keep her in a dark room! What sort of life would that have been. Vera you just need to stop laying now girlie and stop worrying your mummy {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

Just back from the vet with Vera and Doris. Both have high temps. Antibiotic dose doubled for Vera and Doris put on same dose. Metacam dose gone from 4 drops 4 times a day to half a ml twice a day, and Doris is on the same now. Likely that it is peritonitis, could possibly be infectious bronchitis.

My poor poor girls {cry}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Really sorry to hear that ruthie {cry} fingers crossed the medications work for your poorly girls >fi< >fi<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Hope both your girls pull through >fi< >fi<
LYN
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

come on girls get better {hug} >fi< for you both and hugs for you {hug} {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you all, hugs, thoughts and wishes are greatly appreciated.

Girls seemed happier this evening, I've left them to go to sleep in their coop with their sisters. Both had big full crops and were busy scratching around until bedtime. Lets hope this continues through tomorrow!
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

You really couldn't be doing more for them - the end of laying is so horrible for some chickens. Lets hope the medication and excellent nursing does the trick. Lovely that they're scratching about and hopefully a good night's sleep will make a difference. >fi<
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

>fi< hope the medicine does the trick and they both get back to proper chickeny activity {hug}