Buying Chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Willow
Legendary Laner

Buying Chickens

Post by Willow »

We' didnt have a lot of experience buying chickens. We were fortunate to purchase our Black rocks from a Black rock agent and although we were a bit surprised that the 'free range' 13 week old ladies were in fact kept in a large shed, they were all healthy and made great bomb proof additions to our family..
We then decided we'd like to add to the flock and found that Point-of-Lay chooks aren't easy to come by this time of year... and ex battery hens are like gold dust (unless you've had your name on a list for some months)
Trawling the internet and magazines is one way of finding breeders but make sure you phone and ask if you can see the pens / chickens before driving some distance only to find (like us) that entrance is barred and the bedragled smelly, scared little pullets of undetermined age are brought to the garden gate in a cat carrier.. (The web site by the way looked very professional)..
The next day we found another breeder, spoke on the phone and were told that we would of course be more than welcome to see the pens and chickens before purchase..
Another hours drive but worth every minute.. what a lovely place , clean healthy shiny chickens, in clean grassed pens, not overstocked and a very helpful knowledgeable breeder who was only too pleased to show us everything and answer any questions we had..
He had heard of the 'other' breeder through several disapointed people all with the same story.. we had in fact been sold a 'French copper maran' which definately wasnt!! I didnt know they had hairy legs from birth!!
Anyway this is just a warning to any other eager chook purchasers.. DONT be too eager, there are apperently a lot of disreputable breeders out there.. :( )de:
Last edited by Willow on 08 Oct 2007, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Worth contacting the trading standards officer.
I can understand you being sorry for the chicks and buying them, but if everyone does this you are letting him get away with it.
And if he has lied to you on 2 counts, age and breed, you have something definate to complain about (condition of hens might be a bit subjective for official purposes).
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

What a shame, but at least they are alright now.
I've read a lot of reports about people buying eggs from e-bay to hatch, to find them all either infertile, or rotten.
I recently discovered a few local people who have a good reputation, that includes one in our village which I never knew about, small world.
Any pics of your new children :-D
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

The superb breeder was by the way - Steve Howells - The poultry mill in Mid Glam. I think its worth mentioning a really good place ..
Mel, I've put a couple of pics of the new run and two of the new girls into my chicken album, but will be adding more pics of the new girls today. :-D
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Great pics Willow. Your run looks fab and I love the lilac auracana
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
melons
Legendary Laner

chooks

Post by melons »

now those hens I do like :-D the run looks fab.
I'm trying to get hold of some large logs at the moment for the girls to sit on, they've got a 12 foot tree trunk to perch on at the mo they love it & an assortment of logs all propped up at different heights, they've stripped all the dead bark off already getting grubs out, it has kept them amused for ages.
Is that your family complete now? I bet :-D
I "had" big ideas about getting some more girls in the spring, but they have been soooo noisy this weekend, I'm now awaiting a complaint, as I let them out really early, as we got up to watch the GP, they just went for it, woops :oops:
Cheers
mel x