apple cider vinegar

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
doyle
Learner Laner

apple cider vinegar

Post by doyle »

Does any body use apple cider vinegar as a supplement for there birds?
i read its good for all round hen health!
)hlp>

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

apple cider vinegar

Post by AnnaB »

Hi doyle

I add it to their water - it is supposed to stop the containers getting gooey. It is also supposed to help the shell to form and as you say a good all round tonic.
Anna
doyle
Learner Laner

Post by doyle »

Does it work in your opinion annab
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I use it as a digestive aid - supposed to be good for their stomachs also, and as AnnaB said - a good all round tonic
Small steps lead to big changes
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I read somewhere that pure mashed apples are very good for the digestion (prevents crop problems) could it be the acidic content?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

apple cider vinegar

Post by AnnaB »

Hi doyle

I'm not sure about the shell quality but as a tonic and to keep the water containers a bit cleaner - yes.

I have only had ex battery girls so I don't know if it would be better with 'posh' ones.
They have daily oyster shell but at times there are membranes and soft shells. I do not mind this as the eggs they do lay are a bonus, lets face it they have done more in their little lives than a lot of other 'posh' ones. (I am not knocking breeds)
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Do you really think there would be a difference between 'posh' and battery hens Anna? My black rocks have laid one egg per day from the word go and the brown Leghorn seems to be doing the same.. The battery hens, though kept in horrific conditions have been fed a good diet.
I cant see that any supplements good for one , wouldnt be good for the other...
Just look into the sweet face of Beethoven (see pets names) and tell me you'd deprive him of apple cider vinegar or garlic or live yogurt and cerial for that matter.. :cry:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

apple cider vinegar

Post by AnnaB »

Tina

I said I wasn't knocking them. What I am saying is that if they are ex battery girls maybe its to be expected now and again for them to have a soft/membrane lay.

I do not have experience in any other breeds so therefore I could not comment on that.

I think you will find it was Richard that did the first post about 'posh' breeds - I am using his terminology....
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Anna, I think you misread my post, probably my fault for not reading it back to myself myself after writing, if you know what I mean ...
I wasnt having a go' or being sarcastic and I certainly didnt think for one minute you were 'knocking 'posh breeds!! I was only trying to make the point that chooks would benefit from the same supplements whether they'd been used in a battery set up or not...
)ro(

Albert Einstein
doyle
Learner Laner

Post by doyle »

Annab/Willow CALM down, have a cup of tea (With a drop of apple cider vinegar in it) :oops:
)ot: Thanks ladies
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

One thing wrong with communicating via msgs is that you cant always 'read' the emotions correctly... My last post was supposed to be very calm and appologetic and I hope it hasnt come across as anything else after the one before was misread / misunderstood, (which was a bit tongue in cheek but not nasty :cry: ) ... )hlp>

Albert Einstein
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

apple cider vinegar

Post by AnnaB »

Willow

I nearly reverted to 'numpty'!!!!!!! - you said it first....!!

Best wishes
Anna
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

:mrgreen: )t'

Albert Einstein