Advice please urgent help needed

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

Advice please urgent help needed

Post by velvetmoonchild1 »

Hi

have been incubating 3 eggs, day 21 today , all going well till the loony cat decided to knock the incubator over, Its a covatuttu 6 its tiny, two eggs are fine, one smashed on the airsac end, I can see the chick moving and breathing and have candled the other two, I can see one clearly moving but no movement in the other one. There is a small amount of blood coming from the broken egg but this seems to have stopped, the only thing covering the chick is the membrane. I have put them back in the incubator as there wasnt much else I could do but The open ended chick, should I cover the open end ? if so what with ? will its insides dry out due to the temp, humidity is around 60 which is the best i could get with sponges and spraying every few hours for the last week . I feel so sorry for the chick it's breaking my heart knowing it was so close to hatching. The Cat is really old and his eyesight and agility are not what they used to be and I think he thought he could sit on it. {cry} {cry} {cry} {cry} {cry} {cry} instead he just sent it flying.

lisa
Mum to two teenage boys,a deranged dog, an elderly incontinent cat RIP Newquay, two spoilt fish who I swear wag their tails when they see me and 1 welsummer, 4 light sussex, a speckled sussex and a bantam cross, 1 Bearded Dragon called Jade, a meal worm farm, I love chickens.

velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

Re: Advice please urgent help needed

please is there anyone to give me advice i dont know who to ring or ask and it's an awful helpless feeling

lisa
Mum to two teenage boys,a deranged dog, an elderly incontinent cat RIP Newquay, two spoilt fish who I swear wag their tails when they see me and 1 welsummer, 4 light sussex, a speckled sussex and a bantam cross, 1 Bearded Dragon called Jade, a meal worm farm, I love chickens.
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

{cry} the chick just died {cry} looks like only 1 of the 3 have survived the fall and that probably wont hatch . and if it does it will be alone {cry}

absolutely gutted, the cat is never allowed in the room with the inc but snuck in while i was adding water, feel so guilty its awful. Never incubating again my emotions can't take it.

lisa
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

me again

Just opened the egg and the little chick was fully formed but was a Siamese twin, it must have been a double yolker and it s twin had attached itself to between its legs, it had a beak and a little wing and a few feathers and tiny eyes. was a blessing in a way as he wouldnt have lived long, but doesnt make me feel any less upset, dont think i'll sleep tonight.

lisa
manda

Post by manda »

Oh Lisa so sorry to hear of your trauma.
As you say it is probably a blessing that the little Siamese chick didn't survive but that doesn't make it any less traumatic for you.
Have you thought maybe get a couple of day olds or young chicks to go with the remaining chick then it will be some of similar age?

Please don't beat yourself up about it it's one of those horrid accidents that happen in life that you just can't account for.

I will be back a bit later on today so I will keep an eye out if you're still awake (I'm in the middle of making our Sunday lunch).

Take care of yourself {hug&kiss}
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

So sorry about your upset and worry, lisa, and sorry that there was no one around to reply when you first posted. There aren't many people around in the early hours, except for our lovely new mod on the other side of the world, thank you Manda for coming to the rescue.

You did your best lisa, an unforseen accident. Give it a few days and you will see things in a different light. Others will be along with their support quite soon, I'm sure. Just hang on in there girl. {hug}

Ilona
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

I didnt sleep ~eep~

the remaining chick hatched at 8am it peeped at 2am but doesnt look well, I think the fall took its toll as it doesnt look ready, he is really weak and very bloody , I know its my first time hatching but I dont think thats normal, OH thinks it might have had trauma when it fell which would make sense. God what a night !!!!! I am going to ring around to see if any breeders have any day olds but no one that I know of any where near me but only if it survives. So will be a day of chaos and long drives. Just checked chick, still breathing but can still see red blood looks like its from its tummy but theres still gloopy bits and shell all over it so can't see for certain, too scared to check. I hope it doesnt bleed to death and i dont know how to stop the bleeding. been going on a bit long now so not holding out too much hope. Is this anything to do with the inci or the fall ?? Do i take the bits of shell off it, it doesnt look to comfortable to have all that stuck on you. O r just leave it and wait ??? Sorry for so many questions I am feeling inadequate and probably not thinking logical due to no sleep. BTW its got black and white feathers, all black with what looks like a white stripe down its head.

Keep your fingers crossed for it , if it survives i'm going to call it miracle.

lisa {cry}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I would carefully take off any attached shell, bird mothers help with this if there is a problem- you'll have to be mum bird
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

I have taken the shell off the back of it , haven't move him so have left the stuff underneath, Still really slimy like snot all over it, but his mouth and nose are clear to breath so will wait another hour and then put him on some kitchen towel as its on the plastic inc floor. Do they Normally gloop up ? it seems to have come out one end and feet the other and all his rocking and rolling left the rest in little bits instead of big bits, I was wondering can they cut themselves on the shell, could that be why it's bleeding ? I am normally quite intelligent but my brain has also turned to gloop this morning so I need the experts )t'

lisa
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Is the chick under a lamp? I would have it under one for 2 reasons -warmth and to dry the chick, shell bits and all.
I would also carefully lift it and clean it up the best I could whilst observing if any bleeding is actually occurring.
You do get a little blood on hatchings.
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

it's still in the incubator I plucked up the courage to pick it up God they are fragile little things, Its Tummy is yellow with lumps on it , it's cheaping every now and then, its feathers have gone stiff from the heat, I have cleaned most of the muck off it and the bleeding seems to be from the middle of its tummy, looks like some blood from it's nose too but could be residue of the gunky stuff, It's still got a tiny amount of blood coming from it's I suppose umbilical cord but it looks swollen almost as if it's stomach is going to pop. Do they normally look this bloated ? I am literally in a flap lol. Hubby has just gone out as he is fed up of me asking him questions he can't answer, He's gone to talk to a farmer friend and also I think to get away from my panicked state.

Lisa
ps anyone got a photo of a newborn that I can see to compare it's tummy ?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Stop fretting yike* - won't help -will it!!

It's perfectly normal for their stomachs to be swollen, all birds are like this. It's whats left of the yolk sac, it is also their main food for the first hour and day ish.This will shrink very soon.

And breathe!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Flour is supposed to help bleeding. We had a picture of another hatched chick with the yolk attatched last week.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
velvetmoonchild1
Lively Laner

OK , Have taken some deep breaths and relaxed, thanks steve at least I now know it's normal, Mo thanks for the pic but Thankfully its all inside not out. God i'm knackered ~eep~ It's still cheeping, blood seems to be clotting I was worried that it would lose too much. as they are so tiny. I am now going to bed as i have resigned myself to the fact that what will be will be and I am powerless to change it. The kids will keep an eye on it Thankyou for all your help and advice it has really helped me to CALM DOWN lol, Thought I was going to have a heart attack at 4 this morning. It's a lovely feeling though once you take away the stress.

Lisa

Will try to get a pic for you to see