Will my hens be good layers and when?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Hells Bells
Learner Laner

Will my hens be good layers and when?

Post by Hells Bells »

I have just started keeping chickens for the first time and have got 2 Light Sussex and 2 Blue Marans. When I bought them (2 weeks ago), the poultry seller said, they were about 20 weeks, but to date only one of the Blue Marans has been laying! Do you think they other 3 will be laying soon?

Also, I am a bit concerned if the breeds that I have bought will be good layers. I have read items saying that Light Sussex can lay up to 260 eggs per year and equal the Rhode Island Red! However, i have also read that as they are Pure Bred birds they will not lay as well as Hybrid birds - is this true? So far the Blue Maran has layed 10 eggs in 2 weeks, so she is doing well!

One last thing - they love brown cooked rice - is that alright to give them - in addition to their layer pellets, etc.?

Thank you for your help.

Helen

keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

i have heard that pure breeds dont lay as man eggs, but you may just have to give them a little while more and one day you could go out and find a whole bunch of the eggs :razz: ( just a thought)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I bring left over rice home from cricket and they love it - they've all survived (white rice).

I think she'll start laying OK. With my 10 I haven't the faintest idea if there's one or two amongst them who aren't good layers.

Time will tell, but you have good breeds OK.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome