thinking about it?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
starbright
Learner Laner

thinking about it?

Post by starbright »

Hi

I have been thinking about getting two chickens as pets/egg machines ; ) but have a questions.

what i wanted to ask was about accomidation for them. after doing some research i think i have the perfect inclosure for them but wanted to check..... i have breed cats for many years and have kept my stud in him own outdoor cattery but he is gettin a little old now so we will be bringing him indoors and thought about using his home for the chickens.

what do you think? obviously i will let them out during the day, take out the cat flap bit. and change the ladders to make it easier for them to get up? but is it to high?
lisa xxx

wendy

Post by wendy »

Looks OK to me, if they can free range during the day.
Just a couple of things, better to get three chickens as they are flock animals. If one unfortunately dies [they are birds] then you will be left with a solitary hen which is sad.
Also have you considered getting ex battery chickens?. They do live the most awful life [see Richards page on them] when they have spent 15 odd months giving their all, in horrendous conditions, they slaughter them. They deserve a chance of life.
It is wonderful to see them see the sky, feel the grass and take in the whole new world they have never experienced before. You will never regret it.
They are a pleasure to own, lay so well are funny and follow you everywhere when you are out with them. Be prepared to waste a lot of time though. You go out to give them something, and come in an hour or so later !
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

So, I take it you'll replace the cat flap with a 'pop hole' and have them in the downstairs run in the daytime, with some bark to scratch in (or a raised bed of soil like Richard suggested). You'll know all about 'mucking out' as you've already kept animals.

Yes, I'd agree with Wendy about 3 is better than 2. Especially if you go for ex-batts, as they might not all survive the change.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

ermmmmm daft question coming up........

can chickens not use cat flaps?

:oops: :shock:

i dont have mine yet so am still learning what they are and arnt capeable of.

do they have clever moments? or are they just simple creatures?(like planning an escape and mucking in together) :)
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi,
You can train a chicken with a clicker. But I think it will take some time and who wants to sit inside [or out] the hen house while you are training it.
Will they use it without training?, I doubt it. But you never know.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Looking at the picture again, it seems fox-proof, so maybe you don't need a pop hole cover, unless it would be cold and daughty in winter. What does Richard think?
starbright
Learner Laner

Post by starbright »

thanks guys!

im really pleased you all think it will work, will save me binning it and buying a brand new chicken house.
I will def go for three although a little worried it is to small for three, i will be opeing the door during the day and letting them run around the garden and locking them in at night, but if its snowing or pouring with rain (i am in scotland) they will be stuck in all day, wont they get bored with the lack of space??

The upstairs indoor part has a heater in it (for the cat) its completely covered so they cant get to it but it is easiely removed, do you think i should take it out? or leave it in?

I was just going to take the cat flap out and leave it as an open hole.

Its fox proof (and toddler proof i have a 2 year old) my husband built it and its really sturdy, ziggy (the cat) would have found a way ut if he could have!

ok so i will cover the down stairs area in bark and i was going to put a sand bath thing in the inclosed part of down stairs. will i just put newspaper and straw in the upstairs bit??

been going through the internet today and cant find any ex battery hens in scotland?! all the rescue sites are far down in england and dont really want to travel that far? any ideas?

thanks again
lisa xxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mine tend to stay out unless it's really pouring or blazing hot, when they go under cover, you'll have to leave the gate open, for them to get to the nest boxes, so they can choose.
How big is it? It looks bigger than a commercial arc, Mine is about 4' x 4' with a similar run. I keep 6 in it but only have them in the run if I want to shut them in after I've fed them at night (they don't go to bed in time for me to go out for the evening in summer).
I don't think you'll need the heater.
You will need to protect the veg garden! Or maybe keep them in the run for a bit to see how they like it, (once they've got used to going out they expect it) it may not be easy to keep them off the crops. Still, you've got a handyman husband.