roasting egg shells?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
b_cos_1_can

roasting egg shells?

Post by b_cos_1_can »

so i can roast my egg shells to give back to my girls?? :-D

what temperature and for how long?
is it just on a baking tray?
how crushed up should they be to give them back?

how do i store my empty egg shells before i have enough to roast them? do they go smelly if i just leave them to one side :oops: :shock: and how long do they keep for after ive roasted them?

anything else i need to know about it?

thankyou very much

kat :-D

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I don't think there's any time limit as such, but on roasting say once a week, yoiu're safe enough.

In the winter, we have the Rayburn on from about 5pm - 7am and there's always some in there, thus some are more done than others.

I would say they are ready when they just 'snap/crumble' and browning at the edges.
Then crumble them all up with the back of a spoon and away they go.

Do others agree?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, I've got a tin plate sat in the bottom of the oven. Any egg shells go onto it. the oven is used at least once a week, and I try not to leave too much white on the shells. If I'm using a lot of eggs for a batch of fruit cakes the oven goes on at once. By the time I've finished cooking the smudge of white has turned brown and the shells are brittle. Quite different from shells of boiled eggs, which I also break up and give them (I assume the roasting is just to kill germs).
I used to ask my daughter to bring back her egg shells (like returnable bottles!), but she stored them in a closed box, and by the time she remember to bring them they were musty, and probably not good to feed to hens, even after baking.