Introduction to this Category

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Introduction to this Category

Post by Richard »

Predators, Pests & Problem Pets
Relevant Down the Lane Pages

Beware the Fox
Chicken Fencing
Cats, Dogs and Chickens
Chicken Keeping FAQ's

Many of us have lost Chickens to Foxes or other Predators, some even to our own domestic pets. This isn't through lack of care or irresponsibility, it is purely a fact of life that nature's strength's are often greater than ours.

Over nine years, I've lost a few by sheer ignorance of a problem or forgotten something so I know how much torment that can bring upon yourself and how the guilt does not go away quickly.
I think my Run is now as secure can be, but it doesn't stop me every time I walk up the garden, day or night, having the expectation of that terrible silence and mess.

I've also seen one of my chickens torn apart by a passing Dog and had to stand there helplessly, so there are many things to consider. I'm sure there are those who've had, or will have, problems with their own pets with noses put out of joint and territorial disputes!

So, no matter how experienced and careful we are, these things happen.

One thing that has worried others and myself, especially of late, is that with so many people interested in keeping chickens in their back gardens, pedigree or ex-battery, there is very little information given by some about actually keeping them.

I have full respect for those Members who have told us about their nightmares, it takes a lot to share that with hundreds of others.
Also, the very fact that anyone visits this site or similar says they are far from irresponsible.
Often, it's just the luck of the draw.

Rats are also a predator as such, they can cause illness's to the chickens and on occasion actually bite them, so please post Rat issues here as well

Please use this section to help each other, support each other, let any Visitors read our experiences and discuss things you have done to minimize the risks.

Many thanks, Richard

Of all species, the human brain is the most advanced, yet the most forgetful. The problem is, the Fox knows that.

New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome