Baby chicks and sunlight

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
stormlover2
Learner Laner

Baby chicks and sunlight

Post by stormlover2 »

(f+ Hi , I am new to raising chickens. I have been around chickens before when I grandmother had them but I have bought new chicks just a week ago. I have started with a few of several different kinds. Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced and Gold Laced Wyandottes, Golden Buffs, Cuckoo Marans, Dominiques, Black Jersey Giants, Delewares and Salmon Faverolles. So far I have lost 2 Salmon Faverolles and 1 of the Dominiques. All the rest are growing fast and doing well. I watch them all the time and they amaze me me especially with how they change from day to day.

I noticed just in the last two days that when I open the coop door the sun shine into the brooder box. They all take turns running over to the sunlight spot, lay down and raise a wing just for a bit then get up and go. Not just one kind but all of them take turns doing that. I was wondering if someone could tell me why they do that and is it good for them. They seem to be sunbathing and they appear to enjoy it. I have read all that I can and have not read about this in any book or website. I would appreciate the information. Just trying to learn all that I can. Thanks
IF SOMETHING IS WORTH DOING-DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello and welcome!

I've never had baby chicks, so the only thing I could say is that the raising of the wing is what they do when they dust bath on a sunny day.
They'll scrape away a large hole, get in it, scurry out dirt, kind of lay slightly sideways and raise the wing, then repeat.

Because they're all doing it, I'd suggest it's something natural - but the definitive reason - anyone else?

Cheers, Richard

PS - We're all learning - every day with chickens!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome