Hen died 3 weeks after I got her

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mudshark
Lively Laner

Hen died 3 weeks after I got her

Post by mudshark »

I bought a couple of Point-of-Lay ISA Browns 3 weeks ago and one has just died but the other is fine. She did seem a bit less active than the other so perhaps she'd been ill for a bit but otherwise seemed fine. My older hens all seem well so I'm a bit confused as to what was wrong. Just unlucky?

p.penn

Re: Hen died 3 weeks after I got her

Post by p.penn »

Hello Mudshark - gosh haven't seen you for ages - welcome back!

Hmm, 3 weeks. Not long is it? It would be really impossible to tell without a pm what she died from, but I guess what you have to hope for is that the others remain ok.

There is every chance you were just unlucky though. Have you spoken to the place you got her from? They may replace her - you never know.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Definitely get back to the place from where you got her. That isn't right.
mudshark
Lively Laner

Post by mudshark »

I have mailed them but the response was that the others they have are OK and the suggestion that she died because she was unhappy and being picked on. I find that highly unlikely as after the 1st week they all got on fine together. I don't really want to fall out with the supplier as they are so close to me but I do think they should have offered me a replacement really - if only as I buy everything I need from them and they know me.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I would take the body back to them to show no signs of attack etc. All your other hens are fine. I feel they are fobbing you off.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi mudshark

Sorry you lost your chook - I too feel they are fobbing you off and should offer a replacement. But maybe the aggravation caused in pursuing the matter may not be worth it if you then feel you cannot get your other bits from them in the future :?

Welcome back from me too )t'

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Unfortunately, a lot of breeders and places where animals are purchased have a disclaimer that once they have been left the property for 24-48 hours they will not take responsibility, and this is something maybe this breeder will use.

Sorry to hear about your hen, Mudshark :?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
mudshark
Lively Laner

Post by mudshark »

Well I've asked for a discount on a replacement so will see how that goes. Unfortunately I don't have the body anymore - I left it out for the local fox! We have a relationship like that as I sometimes find dead animals in the garden - it's a bit like ancient tribes offering sacrifices to their god perhaps?!

I'm surprised a few of you remember me but thanks for the welcome!