One step on from arnica..

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Effie
Legendary Laner

One step on from arnica..

Post by Effie »

One of my girls is very pale coloured. She is covered all over in fluffy, cream coloured feathers and has few stiffer top feathers. She has a few new quills developing on her wings and, compared to her overall pale colour, these look really dark.

All three girls are getting along splendidly and have lots of things to be busy with but I suspect that the dark quills have attracted the others to peck at her. Having said that, I haven't seem them pay it any attention, but I'm not watching them all the time (nearly but not quite ((w ). There was a small spot of blood today when I got home at 3, and by 7 it was the size of a 2p and really stood out.

Having read the advice of using arnica cream for chook bruises, I have covered the spot in Hypercal cream - that is the homeopatic remedy for cuts and sores.

At worse, the patch is now white and slippery so will be less attractive to the others; at best, the cream will prevent infection and speed up healing.

She seems very well in herself and she doesn't mind me handling her. I will be able to keep an eye on her over the weekend and they have all all settled down for the night.

Has anyone else tried this before? What is the normal healing time for chooks?
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"