5 new additions from Swanley...

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Smallholder
Lively Laner

5 new additions from Swanley...

Post by Smallholder »

Collected 5 new hens on Saturday, 52 week old free rangers from a Swanley egg farm that was closing down.

These 5 bring the hen numbers up to 12 .ang. Image

They were in good condition, much better than I was expecting having seen the pictures of other free-range rescue hens. The birds were obviously well cared for...

Did anyone else get any of the Swanley hens??
Best regards, Smallholder

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: 5 new additions from Swanley...

Post by Totally Scrambled »

They've certainly made themselves at home )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

Set up looks lovely, hens look very settled.
Are you prepared for all the eggs you will get from 12 ladies, omelets and quiches sound good )eat(
Jane x
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

No not yet. Still thinking about it. Might go across and see what equipment they have going though.
I am torn. Common sense tells me to get some from Swanley as its the cheapest option but I am still dithering as to wether to get some blue/green layers or not.. Pathetic I know, but there you go. I suppose I could get 2 of each but then I have to do 2 introductions instead of one .
Your new girls look in good nick. Look forward to seeing some more piccies at a later date. {hug}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
angel253
Lively Laner

Post by angel253 »

Looks like you have a lovely set up for your new girls.
:-D
Angela x
[center]Maud, Marge, Dolly, Annie, Hattie, Sirah, Adelaide,Isobelle (RIP Bertie) Plus 3 as yet unnamed![/center][center]cats Austin & Lewis, goldfish Freddie, Goldie, Del, Rodney & Dave
oh & one wonderful Adrian[/center]
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Smallholder
Lively Laner

Post by Smallholder »

secret squirrel wrote:No not yet. Still thinking about it. Might go across and see what equipment they have going though.
I am torn. Common sense tells me to get some from Swanley as its the cheapest option but I am still dithering as to wether to get some blue/green layers or not.. Pathetic I know, but there you go. I suppose I could get 2 of each but then I have to do 2 introductions instead of one .
Your new girls look in good nick. Look forward to seeing some more piccies at a later date. {hug}
lorna

Hi Lorna,

Thanks, I totally understand your dilemma...

I have a blue egg laying hen that I purchased from a lady in Kent (Purchased three but sadly only have one remaining) I'd be happy to give your her contact details if your interested, she is a legbar x White Star but layes lovely pale blue eggs ;)
Image Legbar X

To put your mind at rest regarding the Swanley hens, I not sure if she has any left now. I remember the lady saying on Saturday when myself and some others were collecting a small numbers of the hens, that she had one person who called wanting 100 and another guy who had offered to take what was left. But may be worth giving her a call, she had some massive feeders and think I saw some rollaway nest etc..

They are sweet hens, little and rather nervous, compaired to my big ladies who get greens etc.. on top of their pellets. As usual they are currently going through a little hen pecking whilst they learn their place in the hierarchy but that should settle soon hiopefully >fi<
Image The Older hens

All the best,

Smallholder
Best regards, Smallholder
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Hi - awww your chooks look lovely. Its great that so many working chooks get a happy retirement. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Oooh, regarding the person wanting 100 hens, hope they are going to end up being pets {cry}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Yes, I would be interested in your Kent contact. I am prepared to collect from anywhere in Kent, Surrey or Sussex.
And, yes its feeders I am after as mine which I have had for 18 months, fell apart last week. With more girls imminent, I will need a bigger one or a couple of smaller ones. {hug} Your chook looks nice and healthy. Not bothered what colour I get but fancied a change from `brown`, although my ISA/Warrens are `very` loved. {hug} I agree with Bluebell on the person who wants 100 and the other who wants all the rest, do hope they spend the rest of their lives laying eggs. Wouldnt have thought they would be suitable for `roasting`birds anyway. I should think they are too old.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.