Worried about Dottie ;-(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Worried about Dottie ;-(

Post by Benny&Co »

We're a bit worried about our Dottie {cry}

We noticed yesterday that seems to be really lethargic. She'd gone into the nest box through the day, which isn't like any of our girls at all. She's also drinking a load of water.

I thought maybe she had a softie on the way, so last night gave her a nice warm bath and offered her some mealworms, she had a little peck at them and then wasn't interested. Then she went to bed with the others.

This morning I opened their eglu door and she ran out like a shot, so thought she'd recovered overnight. She ran straight to the water glug and started drinking lots again.

Now I've just observed her standing in the door of the eglu with her eyes closing. I went over and she 'woke up' and trundled over to the water glug and started drinking lots again.

Last night her crop seemed fine and I massaged her abdomen. She did have discharge from her vent which was clear/white.... the other two were trying to eat it!

I'm just going to check her vent and crop again. Also going to commence worming with Flub a bit early - they're due in August.

She's looking very sorry for herself and I think she's fluffing up a bit {cry} We've had some really heavy rain, do you think that's affecting her?

Also on the egg front, she's become a bit random over the last 6/8 weeks and we thought maybe it was her settling into her own little rhythm as she seemed absolutely fine - eating, drinking and doing all the usual chickeny things. She's not made an egg for a week now.

We'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Worried about Dottie ;-(

Post by albertajune »

Bev, I can't help you, but do know how you must be feeling. I hope someone comes on here soon with a suggestion as to what could be the problem.
Do let us know how she goes on. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thank you June {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hmmm... Could she have a temperature? Compare her to one of the others and feel if she's warmer. Maybe a temperature would make her drink more?

Have you tried her on yoghurt and olive oil?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
milli
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

Hi Bev, sorry not really experienced enough to be of much help, but do you think she could be egg bound? If she is having trouble laying perhaps she has one that need to pass. Perhaps another soak in a warm bath may help her to pass it if there is one stuck there. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon. Meanwhile sending you {hug}
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

That's an idea about the temperature, thanks Lucy {hug} I'm going to go and examine her now and will report back.

I haven't given her yoghurt and olive oil - I thought they didn't tolerate dairy very well? +confused+
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

milli wrote:Hi Bev, sorry not really experienced enough to be of much help, but do you think she could be egg bound? If she is having trouble laying perhaps she has one that need to pass. Perhaps another soak in a warm bath may help her to pass it if there is one stuck there. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon. Meanwhile sending you {hug}

Thank you Milli {hug}
Bev x

Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Hi Bev,
I've had similar with my ex bat Penelope, discharge from her vent the other chooks pecked at and made her bleed, lethargic standing with eyes closed.
I haven't really got to the bottom of it but I have isolated her to stop the others pecking her, put her in warm baths and kept her vent area clean, I noticed a protruding from her vent so used pile cream which has helped. I recon sugar water should perk her up. I've given her loads of maggots and tomatoes (but only because shes in with another ex bat that has sour crop).
Good luck with your girl Bev
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Another one here that cant offer any advice, but I will keep everything crossed for a good outcome. {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

When mine are a little under the weather, but I cannot find the cause. ie: a little lethargic, sleeping on one leg a lot, no neck, aimlessly pecking at food but not really eating much just not 'right '
I give a mixture of equal parts live yogurt and olive oil. I give about 10 mls 3/4 times a day. Often via a syringe into the side of the beak, slowly.
Often perks them up after a day or so. The olive oil smoothes things through and the yogurt puts back good bacteria.
No I wouldn't advocate a lot of milk products but a little when they are unwell seems to work, if they haven't anything drastic wrong with them.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thank you so much everyone {hug}

Okay, I've now given everything a thorough clean over, fresh bedding and a dusting with Diatom. Have prepared their feed with Flub mixed with a bit of Poultry Spice and olive oil and given them the first 2Kgs.

They've all been out in the garden and Dottie didn't seem interested in digging/playing with the other two - seemed to want to be on her own and she sat down under a bush, falling asleep/waking up/falling asleep again.

She did eat some porrige I made up - the other two had to put their beaks in too - just oats, warm water, mealworms and honey.

I've given her another warm bath, had a good look at her vent area and given it a good clean. It seems to be pulsing for want of a better word. I had gloves on and gave her a massage in that area and run lots of warm water by it. I guess in humans it would be like peristalsis, but don't know what the term is for a chooky.

Whilst I was drying her off, she was falling asleep and I thought... oh no {cry}

I've also noticed that she's having another moult too. She did have one a while back but it wasn't a full on moult, just a little area on her chest. This time she seems to have lost a lot more feathers, all around her vent and upto her chest.

Her crop seems okay and I don't think she's got a temperature - she doesn't seem warmer or cooler than the others.

Of out shortly and I will pick up some yoghurt for her.

Guess all we can do now is keep up the observations and see how she goes. Thank you so much, you're all lovely on here {hug}
Bev x

madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hi Bev!!I just posted a reply and it disappeared +confused+ You seem to have everything in hand keep on doing what you are doing )t' Hope she picks up soon )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Emmachuck
Lively Laner

Post by Emmachuck »

Hope Dottie is feeling better soon Bev. {hug}

Emma
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Was the discharge like albumen?

Moulting does make them miserable, pile a load of maggots at her. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks everyone )t'

Steve, the discharge was white-ish >dum< haven't seen any today and gave her a nice clean up before.

Since my last post, I've noticed that she's standing/sitting in the same place and sleeping/waking up/sleeping. She did come over to me though.

Just made up some yoghurt with olive oil and a little bit of pineapple juice from the pineapple I've used for dinner.

I used a syringe and probably managed to get around 8mls down her.

Will have a look as to where I can get some maggots sile}
Bev x