Mon 12th. Sept - Remains of Hurricane Katia

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Mon 12th. Sept - Remains of Hurricane Katia

Post by Richard »

Watch your regions forecast for Monday, there are very high winds expected in all parts of the Country, more so in the South West, upper Midlands, North West and the whole of Scotland.

Ensure your Chicken Coops are safe; check their stability, especially any fences.
We don't want any open invitations to Mr. Fox (I know, I've got the T-Shirt through weather) nor trapped Chickens of course.

Weekend job - baton down the hatches ! Good time to do it for Winter anyway!

Met Office Severe Weather Warnings Page (Even Kent which has no warning is due 50mph+ gusts)

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Mon 12th. Sept - Remains of Hurricane Katia

Post by silverback »

I would also make sure that nothing can fall on top of the coop! )reap( , and that any tarp used for covering is well tied down and secure!.. )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Excellent tips, thanks )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

Hiya,

Thank you for that warning Richard, I heard about it today on the radio and will be removing my tarp tomorrow in advance of these winds.
I think I will copy that and post it on the Fresh Start FB group if thats ok with you. )t'

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Richard

Post by Richard »

No probs, go for it !

xx
Josh
Lively Laner

Post by Josh »

So should i keep them in when it starts getting windy, if so should i bring all the drinkers etc in? Josh )t'
6 warren hens (isa brown), 1 white leghorn, 1 light sussex, 1 aylesbury, 1 khaki campbell, 1 syrian hamster And 1 golden labrador!
Hester
Lively Laner

Post by Hester »

Thanks Richard, the hurricane is bothering me. I'm emptying my shed of all the junk and putting the coop in there. )t'
I'm a Mum to 4 grown up 'kids!' and a Nana to two beautiful boys, with a granddaughter on the way come Christmas. I have 4 cats, Lucy, Sophie, Cairo and Tom. And my 3 chickens, Henrietta, Hyacinth and Jemima.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks Richard )t' .. I nearly lost the roof off my coop in a similar storm last winter.. we were out in the early hours tying the patio table on top of it. }hairout{ .. I always get really worried when it's windy, but more so now.
Hester
Lively Laner

Post by Hester »

ALSO... I've just been told that we can expect high winds next weekend too...
I'm a Mum to 4 grown up 'kids!' and a Nana to two beautiful boys, with a granddaughter on the way come Christmas. I have 4 cats, Lucy, Sophie, Cairo and Tom. And my 3 chickens, Henrietta, Hyacinth and Jemima.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Feel fairly confident with our set up even if we do get the predicted high winds, dont think I will hang the washing out though , I can just see the chooks running round with my smalls over their heads
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Richard

Post by Richard »

Josh - I would suggest you stand by your Coop and face south west, that's the way it's coming. Then if you see anything which could fall on your Coop, protect it. I wouldn't worry about feeders etc. just put them out the way of the wind.

You're Yorkshire, so fairly high risk, but not very high like some parts.

Richard
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Yorkshire and NE England are only expecting 30mph winds on Monday. Some of you are expecting 80mph yike*

I'll tell you on Tuesday if they were right or not )t'
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, they have changed it a bit this morning. I notice the South West has come out of the bad areas, now more North Wales forming a north easterly line over to the extreme North East and upwards.

They're still forecasting 48mph gusts for Monday in Kent.

My son Leo's Mum is sailing from Holyhead to Ireland Monday (where's the sick smiley!!).

But, off topic, still a good time to service up the Chicken Areas, late Autumn and Winter will suddenly bear themselves upon us!

Richard
Chi Chi
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chi Chi »

Were in the amber alert zone, so im not taking the chance and bringing the girls into the house for the night.

We have the candels ready etc, kids are so excited, if the elec doesnt go off, might need to trip the fuse and do a mini camp out in the livingroom with them :-D

Will keep checking the met though , fingers crossed my chicken hut doesn't blow away yike* :-D
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If my boundary conifers come down my shed will be no more and a few chooks too.

All together....... "Always look on the bright side of life."