Bald necks on ex batts

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
scbrice
Lively Laner

Bald necks on ex batts

Post by scbrice »

My 4 ex-batts have been with me since the July rescue and they were in very good condition for ex-batts. 2 barely had any missing feathers and 2 has bald necks and the odd few elsewhere. My question is how long does it take to grow the feathers back? they still have nakid necks and it doesn't look like there's any sign of that changing atm? Is there anything I can do to encourage growth?
Owned by 1 Crazy Welsh Springer Spaniel 'Olive' and 3 ex-batts, the HP clan (Hermione, Ginny and Luna!) a Reverse Sussex called Fleur and Poppy the Blue Ranger! RIP Hedwig

Steve the Gas

Re: Bald necks on ex batts

Post by Steve the Gas »

They will come back after a moult, how nuch space do they have?
Poultry spice and up the protein to promote feather growth. )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

One of mine, Andrea, has been home since May and she still looks like she did when she arrived.
Thankfully she has stopped laying now. So hopefully, she is going into a moult and will at long last, put some clothes on !. Don't worry she is in a lovely home and she will get there.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kankel
Lively Laner

Post by kankel »

Hi

I have had Ruby from July, I was one of the rehoming points, so I picke 2 girls who were the baldest

She did grow back any feathers until Kay (the top hen )t( ) passed away a month ago. I think she must have been pulling her new feathers out. Ginger the other girl I got at the same time feathered up straight away, so I didnt suspect anything.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!
Rotherham Collection Point
scbrice
Lively Laner

Post by scbrice »

Their run is about 3.5ftx9ft but they aren't shut in their often, just when we are out and they usually roam around a patch which is about 4.5metres square. No sign of them stopping laying yet (1-3 eggs most days which seems good?)
Thanks all:-)
Owned by 1 Crazy Welsh Springer Spaniel 'Olive' and 3 ex-batts, the HP clan (Hermione, Ginny and Luna!) a Reverse Sussex called Fleur and Poppy the Blue Ranger! RIP Hedwig
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Bit of a tight space there, imo, if I've done the math right.
My guess is feather plucking, any chance of more space? )t'
Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

I have 9 ex batts from that same rescue scbrice and those who had/have neck feathers missing are like yours and still are as bald as a badgers bum. Mine are in a massive walk in run, there is no feather pecking and they have an ultra high protein diet.

Don't think you are doing anything wrong either, it's one of those things.
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
scbrice
Lively Laner

Post by scbrice »

No chance of more space! they take up a large portion of the garden as it is! the dog would be most upset if I gave them more lol! I have just measured it properly it's 15ftx18ft so 270 square foot for 4 birds. Is that too small? The run is smaller 9x3.5ft but they aren't shut in their all the time. They don't seem to squabble much infact haven't a cross word between then for a while and I am out in the garden quite abit :-D
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Yes, of course that space is fine for FR. :-D )t'
Runspace.....bit tight,
scbrice
Lively Laner

Post by scbrice »

Ah yep the run is smaller than I would have liked but it had to fit in thr space we had! They aren't not in their much, someone is usually at home for the puppy so the chickens are out all day apart from an hour or so at a time when we walk the dog, pop to shops etc
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

All good then.... chill )t' )t'
scbrice
Lively Laner

Post by scbrice »

Hopefully they will all grow some neck warmers soon:-) If not they can just be baldy and live with it )grin2(
Josh
Lively Laner

Post by Josh »

talking of that is 3mX3m big enough for 8 chucks and 2 ducks? :? +confused+ They do FR quite alot though in my massive garden. +confused+
6 warren hens (isa brown), 1 white leghorn, 1 light sussex, 1 aylesbury, 1 khaki campbell, 1 syrian hamster And 1 golden labrador!
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

One of mine still has a bald patch on her neck - more than 12 months on - I don't think the feathers will ever grow back there. The others though, you wouldn't think they were the same hens - they mostly seem to recover phenomenally well once they're being looked after properly.