feeding advice

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ColletteB
Lively Laner

feeding advice

Post by ColletteB »

can you all help with what is the best feeding routine to get into with my chickens when they arrive tomorrow :-D :?

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: feeding advice

Post by silverback »

Depending on what you are feeding them, I would say top up your feeder and let the decide for you!... )t'

P.S. Sorry!, welcome to DTL...... :-D )t'
Last edited by silverback on 16 Sep 2011, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Layers pellets - available all the time - they'll eat what they need )t'
ColletteB
Lively Laner

Post by ColletteB »

ive got the layer pellets, corn and grit and the feeder...so i fill this and let them graze then? i notice some people put the feeder on the floor and some have them hanging?what is the reason for this! Sorry all the questions just want to get it right for them!!
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

The reason for hanging/raising the feeder is to stop them from making a mess of it. My feeder has legs on it & the drinker is raised on bricks, which keeps things relatively clean.

Go easy on the corn - it's more of a treat really - nice for them to have a bit before bed in the winter though as it warms them up. Layers pellets should contain everything they need.
I mix the grit in with the corn & just scatter it if I want to feed it. I also scatter grit on its own - not sure that's necessary though because they free range, so I presume they get plenty of grit naturally.
Josh
Lively Laner

Post by Josh »

I have mine hanging because sometimes when its on the floor the food tends to get spilled every where as they like to have a good scratch at it, also welcome to DTL! )t'
6 warren hens (isa brown), 1 white leghorn, 1 light sussex, 1 aylesbury, 1 khaki campbell, 1 syrian hamster And 1 golden labrador!
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Collette, do you have somewhere to hang the feeder and drinker from?, as mentioned by LBF, chooks have a tendancy to tip things over, tread in, poop in and scratch around in, food and water!.. }hairout{ .
So in my opinion you would be better to hang the feeder and drinker up!.. )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.