Wont come out!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Karhog
Longlasting Laner

Wont come out!

Post by Karhog »

Peggy seems out of sorts today, she was out earlier this morning for a short while but I did notice she seemed withdrawn and was not eting a lot. I tried to entice her with a wet mash and she ate a little and drank a little but went back up to her nestbox.
She has now been there for hours. I have been up to check her several times and she is just sitting there- she is allowing me to stroke her etc which she wouldn't normally do (she would run off)
It is really warm here and I am concerned she will overheat so have just ben up with some water which she has ignored. I noticed her beak is open and she feels warm. I have syringed some sugar water which I had cooled into her beak to ensure she is at least getting a bit of liquid and hoping for an energy boost. Should I lift her out and bring her near the house (shady and a bit cooler) or leave her be (the hen house is in the shade but still feels quite warm inside)
I obviously don't want to distress her but dont know what is wrong :?

p.penn

Re: Wont come out!

Post by p.penn »

Well, she could just be over hot trying to find shade, she could be going broody (although usually they don't like being moved if they are) or, of course, she could be under the weather.

As you are worried, I would move her. Can't do any harm.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Do you think she might pick at some fresh cukes? We use them here on hot days to dramatically reduce body temp...
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
Karhog
Longlasting Laner

Post by Karhog »

Thanks for replys- quick update, Peggy laid a softy! It's amazing how under the weather it made the poor girl- though I'm sure the heat didn't help. She celebrated with some corn on the cob (from the fridge) which cooled her down. )c(