New Girl

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
MotherHen
Learner Laner

New Girl

Post by MotherHen »

Hello - I have just registered but have been a regular visitor to DTLF since getting my girls in November. Due to the untimely death of my little Pekin, I have just got a new girl, Gaby. Thanks for the advice on the website on introducing chickens. I have to admit that I have been sitting watching them since 6.45am, bit scary at first but things appear to have calmed down a little. If anyone has any additional advice it would be gratefully received!! (f+ )hlp>

Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I'm a newby at keeping chooks, but without sites like these, I'd be lost!

I'm on a waiting list to get rescued hens, that will join our 6, 15 week old girls.

From the advise I've gathered, seperate them during the day,doesn't take much, have a look on DTL home page pics and see how it's done.

Apparently they can all go in the same coup at night.

I congratulate the people that put forums like this together.

Welcome :-D

cheers
Jodi
MotherHen
Learner Laner

Post by MotherHen »

Thanks Jodi, I feel like I have been on chicken watch all day!!! They seem to be calming down a little, Gaby has been on her own most of the day in the run but has had access to the garden. The other 3 have ignored her most of the day but have just had another go at her!! She is so tiny in comparison, guess I will just have to let mother nature do her bit!! When do you get your new arrivals?

Thanks for your advice - Motherhen :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello Motherhen and welcome to the fold.

I hope you got some rest today!!

They can be little terrors when they want to be, but things will soon settle down and there will be harmony up the garden!

Absolutely right above - night time is usually no problem. If worse comes to worse, you could separate them during the day, but let them see each other.

I must admit to never separating any new arrivals, but haven't had too many BIG squabbles, just the chasing and occasional jumping on top!

Great stuff !!

Richard 8)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
MotherHen
Learner Laner

Post by MotherHen »

Hi

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have now had my little one for 11 days. Getting over the paranoid mother routine. She is still not mixing very well with my 3 other girls during the day but they seem a lot better at night now. Will she every become a flully fledged member? She looks so lonely wondering round the garden on her own!!!

(f+