do they need heat?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
deano
Lively Laner

do they need heat?

Post by deano »

This is my first winter with the chooks,i was thinking the other day (i know i shouldnt as it can be dangerous)about if the weather does turn a lot colder would the chooks need any additional heat,i have a portable gas heater in the garage that i could put in the shed with the chooks,i could leave it on low that should keep them a little warmer,the shed is ventilated so there shouldnt be a problem with fumes building up,anyone else used one of these?

maz24
Longlasting Laner

Re: do they need heat?

Post by maz24 »

No Deano they dont need heat they can cope well in the winter, have more trouble in the summer. just put more bedding in and straw if they will have it (mine turf it out). When it was realy cold last winter and I opened up in the morning you could feel the heatcome out at you. Biggest problem when its freezing is keeping the water checked as it freezes over. I also give mine a couple of handfulls of corn before bed as a warmer
Marianx
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi Deano
from what i have been lead to believe the girls handle the cold better than the heat ,have seen mine squeeze 3 in one nest box when realy cold 2 on the bottom and 1 on top of them :-D .I think draughts and damp are there bigest problem in the winter,so as long as draught free and nice dry coop and not overly large for the number of girls in dont think you will nead any heat ,supriseing how warm they are when you let them out in the morning.

MERRY CHRISTMAS .san.jump. >tree<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
perchy

Post by perchy »

Plenty of bedding and they will be fine, no draughts

Last year .sn<

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

A gas appliance would not be a good idea..... for these, you need ventilation the size of a barn door.

Hens are better in cold than heat, they have cold protection gear on. )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

They'll be fine with their built in duvets. )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bobstar
Learner Laner

Post by bobstar »

Like every one has already said, your chucks should be fine in cold weather, just remember though that if you add bedding or clean your birds out, make sure there is no frost inside there house as the bedding CAN also have the opposite effect and stop it from thawing
True wealth isn't measured by how much you own , but how little you owe

5 jersey giants (2 cockerels, 3 hens). 1 buff orpy hen , and 4 hens of unknown breed