New to this!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
pegpuss
Lively Laner

New to this!

Post by pegpuss »

Hello all
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question.
After lots of thinking and discussing with my partner we've decided to go for it and adopt a few ex battery hens.
I've done hours of internet research, and found this site to be fantastic.
We have a pretty big garden with 5' high secure fencing all round and I'm not bothered about holes in the grass or messed up flower beds so we intend to free range them while one of us is home.
I've ordered an all in one coop and run on-line which claims to house up to 9 hens but I plan to get 4 or 5 so I hope that will provide enough space while we're at work. If it all works well we'll probably end up building an extension onto it.
I'm a bit concerned about foxes though. I've never actually seen them in the garden, but we back onto allotments and I've certainly heard them over there at night so I'm sure they are around.
We're deliberating whether mesh ought to be attached to the floor of the run to make it harder for Mr Fox to tunnel into or whether this would be risky and unpleasant for the hens to peck and scratch about on.
Would laying slabs around the edge of the run be adequate or am I being over concerned about the tunnel factor when they will be locked into the coop at night anyway?
Any advice or thoughts appreciated!
Thanks, Emma.
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.

boo boo chicken
Learner Laner

Re: New to this!

Post by boo boo chicken »

Hi,

I'm also fairly new to chicken keeping so i'm sure someone will be along to advise you better, shortly. I also had the same concern so i did exactly what you suggested and used slabs underneath the bottom edge of the coop/run. Better to be safe than sorry i guess?

Well done for taking the plunge & >gl<
manda

Post by manda »

Hi Emma and welcome to the Lane

Good on you for deciding to get some ex-batty's...they can be a challenge but they are well worth it...although you need to be aware (if you're not already) that the eggs can be a bit hit and miss with them so that is something to consider...if you haven't already.
They have wonderful personalities perhaps more than other hens....though I know that's a gross generalisation!

As far as the house is concerned I don't think there will be any issues with space but I would seriously think about the run....what size is it? It's something that comes up here regularly the manufacturers say enough for xxx hens and you're lucky if it is enough for a quarter of that amount.....they need at least 10sq ft per hen (regardless of how long they will be in there really) - this reduces fighting, health problems etc. So 4-5 hens 40-50sq ft for a run size in whatever dimensions it takes to achieve that.

Is it a walk in run? You can always increase the area they have by adding levels if need be.

You shouldn't need to put wire on the bottom of the run but you could always do this if need be - it really depends on the sturdiness of the construction....any pics...or link to house?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Hi and welcome )wav( ex-bats are so rewarding you get them when they are all battered and many bald and in what seems no time they turn into lovley girls :-D the only thing is ex-bats can die soon after you get them so just be prepaired for all the ups and downs, but belive me the ups way outwaigh the downs and when you watch them change from frightend quiet sad things turn into buitifull full of confidence chuks in frount of your eyes youl soooooo happy, good look and hope you enjoy them {hug} )t'
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping.. )t' I have had my 4 girls for 10 months now ( they are not ex batts though)and would not change a thing .As others have said though the size of the coup would be fine but the size of the run not.We built a Walk-in-Run 4m x 4m and they FR when we are home .We have not seen foxes but I have done my best to be secure.
From what I have read on here foxes will be around even in the day so nothing we do will be certain ..We can only do our best ... >gl<
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Welcome )wav( .....Ex batts are great little chooks ,though they can break your heart {cry} I would completely ignore any recomendations for run size and make them as much space as you can even if the majority of their time is free range.If you have heard foxes then a visit is probably on the cards and i would take as many precautions as you can with buried wire and slabs.Just be aware that foxes have taken chooks whilst people have been with them and ex batts who have limited flight feathers will be more at risk.On the upside you will have hours of fun!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Welcome to the lane from me too )t'

Lots of good advice and you will love them {hug}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)wav( welcome to the lane from me too, nothing to add to the great advice above
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Welcome from me too )wav(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I am surrounded by foxes and often see them sunbathing in the daytime, I am urban so the foxes have no fear of humans. So far I haven't had a fox attack but I am sure it is only a matter of time. Here is what I did and do to protect my hens.

The run is weldmesh (DIY peps will put you straight on what type it should be) NOT chicken wire. I made a wire skirt on the outside of the run with slabs and chunks of concrete all around. Hubby piddles around the perimeter above fox height so fox thinks he is a predator. That was when I had a short height run and wooden coop. I also put the wire around the coop so foxy (or badger or mink) could not get under the coop.

I now have a purpose built Walk-in-Run which is on a slabbed base all the way through and this is wonderful.

Do not neglect the roof, my roof is weldmesh and then topped with poly panels to keep out the rain, the one time a roof panel blows away will be the one time the fox manages to get to the roof. Secure your nest box with a lock or a bolt and make sure the base is well screwed down as foxes can and do move latches and lift box bases.

Sorry for the scaremongering but always best to be prepared and as I say as yet I have not had an attack and keeping hens is a joy and I can't imagine life without them now. I hope I have not put you off, I should add that mine is a big open garden with open land at the side so I am more vigilant than some people need to be.

When I am in the garden the girls come out to play and have a wonderful time tripping me up, destroying flowers and hopping over chicken barriers, they also pretend they can't read the chickens keep off sign but they can read mealworms on the side of a tub so they are fibbing.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Welcome )wav(
Wonderful advice on this forum. Just do everything you can in advance. if you have a walk in run inside your garden and foxes around I would always supervise when freeranging in the garden.
I cannot stress how wonderful it is to adopt these battery girls and your lives with be enriched in return.
>gl<
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Hi all
Thanks for all the replies...you sure know how to make a girl feel welcome :-D
My sister has kept ex batts before, so I have a fair idea of what to expect in terms of poor appearance and hit and miss egg production as well in terms of big personalities once given a little TLC.
I want a little flock of pets and have chosen names ready for when I get them...a bit like an expectant mum!!!
Here's a link to the coop / run I've chosen, as I said in my OP I intend to extend the run area once my girls and I have settled into this chicken keeping business!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHICKEN-COOP-HO ... 756&sr=1-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Helloooo, big welcome from me! )wav(
All my flock are ex-batts and as you know they are just wonderful {hug}

Do you have the dimensions of that run? I think it would be best to make it the right size before you get the hens )t'
Also, some ex-batts wont be able to work the ladders, so best to make sure you're able to get inside and get them to pop them in the coop, I'm not sure you'd be able too if they're under the coop?
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Ok, I just got the trusty old calculator out and did the maths. Using the measurements given on the amazon link above, I make the run 7.125 sq ft per girl if it were to house 4, or 5.7 sq ft for 5 of them. Think I'll go for the 4 until I can extend :-D
Emma