broody troubles

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sallyduncalf
Lively Laner

broody troubles

Post by sallyduncalf »

My Mrs Miggins is very broody- so yesterday I gave her some fertile eggs- she has only been sat for a day and came out of her cat box in the main run for some food but accidentally shut the door behind her. She therefore went to bed in the big house, leaving her eggs. That was for about 3 hours..will they be harmed if they have started growing ?

Im not sure whether to leave her in the big house- as another broody tried to steal her (hard boiled) eggs and sit on them- should I let them share do you think? And would this cause trouble when they hatch?

Any advice would be welcome- I have never had 2 broodies at once!

thanks

Sally

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: broody troubles

Post by Annie »

Sounds a bit of a dilemma you have got there Sally, I haven't had a broody (touch wood) yet so don't know the answer but there are a few on here that do hatch live eggs under their broodies so >fi< one of them will be on soon.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

My 2 pekins are broody all of the time, and sit in the next box together. 3 hours off the eggs is a while for them to go cold, but if you have a chook sat on them, it wont do any harm to see what happens. If and when the eggs hatch, you will then need to move her to her own space, as the others would attack the chicks. Good luck and just keep an eye on who is sitting on them more, its really just luck at this stage )t' Does that all make sense?
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
sallyduncalf
Lively Laner

Post by sallyduncalf »

Thanks Stace...

It cant have been more than 3 hours- may not have been that long- so she is sat firmly on them now. I think I will leave them to it for now and move her nearer the hatch time and keep fingers crossed. Where she is now is cosy for her in this weather.

thanks

)t'
sallyduncalf
Lively Laner

Post by sallyduncalf »

Well, Miggins and chocky obviously had a fight and I found Chocky sat on them- so I have taken Miggs out with the remaining 5 (they broke 1 {cry} ) and she is back in the cat box- door is shut for now- i will make her a run for her self...
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

>fi< hope she gets on ok with the eggs
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
sallyduncalf
Lively Laner

Post by sallyduncalf »

YIPPPEEEE

We have pip off and one baby already - so cute. Another is trying to get out- so hopefully the other three will follow.

So glad i left her to it

:-D )t' )app( )wav( )grin2(
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

No sleep for you tonight I bet >ch< ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well done Miggins and congratulations Sally. Hope you dont mind me asking Sally were you at Tinas in barnsley at the last fresh start if you are hello again )t' Linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Kalmia
Lively Laner

Post by Kalmia »

Lovely news!!!!! )t'
[center]Life can be cut short - enjoy it to the best of your ability.
A new dawn is always special. x x x
[/center]
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)c( great news Sally, hows things today? >eas2<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
sallyduncalf
Lively Laner

Post by sallyduncalf »

Hi Linda - yes that was me at Barnsley- helping out ... I shall be the comedy act at Hull this month....

Well, chick update- I have two- Sorry- Mrs Miggins has 2 beautiful blue grey babies and she is so proud. We have had to board her run a bit because Ron (the cat) likes to sit and watch them with devotion...). I would upload a picture but I am still working out how....

Unfortunately the others were nothing- I generously let my hubby open them- two were yellow yolks so I assume infertile and the other was a nasty yakky pigsnot of a green mess- gross......... sile}

But happy with the two... >eas2< >eas2<
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Great news )t'
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Aww bless great news for you and Mrs Miggins i bet you are two very proud ladies {hug} .Good luck in hull youll be great again i wore the care sheet out that you gave me. You prob dont remember but you gave me lovely help and confidence to tackle the unknown thanks for that.:-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

Congratulations!! Am tempted for my broody but knowing my luck I'd end up with all cockerels )t'
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(