RIP Hopalong :(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

RIP Hopalong :(

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Had the day from hell yesterday {cry}
One of my new girls I got from the burger man was poorly, she'd had a massive prolapse. {cry}

Will and I went to see the girls as normal after Will came out of school, and I noticed Hopalong wasnt there so went looking for her. I found her in a nest box, the eggs were covered in blood so I picked her up and had a look at her and when she laid an egg she'd had a massive prolaspe. She was called Hopalong because she'd had a slight limp when I got her last week. All her insides had come out and there were bugs feeding off her. I knew the prolapse was too big and she was suffering so I made the decision to put her out of her misery. I phonerd OH who phoned his mate and he came and did it. It absolutely broke my heart {cry} I cried all night and I'm still very upset.
I'd also lost a new girl at the weekend but she died in her sleep.
I feel very angry at the m,an I got them from..it doesn't take much to look after a little hen and I'm afraid I shall have to keep my mouth shut if I see him, he really did not care for his hens {cry}

Am feeling very wretched at the moment {cry}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Re: RIP Hopalong :(

Post by Mercedes »

Oh I am so sorry Lizzie that is just awful {hug}
Lyn
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

So sorry to hear about little hopalong, poor little mite. You did your best for her and if she had only one nice week with you it's better than being with that horrible man. I cannot understand how anyone cannot look after their animals properly, they look to us for their wellbeing and give us their trust and love, RIP little one {cry}

ps tears are rolling down my cheeks as I type this
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

{hug} {hug} {hug} RIP little Hopalong x
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

grandmaeileen wrote:So sorry to hear about little hopalong, poor little mite. You did your best for her and if she had only one nice week with you it's better than being with that horrible man. I cannot understand how anyone cannot look after their animals properly, they look to us for their wellbeing and give us their trust and love, RIP little one {cry}

ps tears are rolling down my cheeks as I type this

{hug} {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Oh Lizzie I'm so sorry. What an awful thing to happen {hug} {hug}
LYN
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

So sorry to read about hopalong, I'm sure the time spent with you would have been 100 times better than where she came from {hug}

Sending you a big {hug} and hope the remaining girls recover from their past soon x
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Shazer
Lively Laner

Post by Shazer »

Awww Lizzie, i am so sorry for your losses {cry}

{hug} {hug}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

so sorry Lizzie {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

So sorry Lizzie {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

So sorry to hear about Hopalong. {cry} Im glad you had her at the end, because he probably would have left her to suffer. {hug}
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww so sory Lizzie, so wretched for you {cry}

RIP in little one {hug}
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

So sorry to hear your news. You gave her love and stopped her suffering. It's all any of us can do. I feel for you - it's dreadful when you lose a loved one. Big hug . {hug&kiss}
milli
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

So sorry to hear about little hopalong Lizzie, Probably a good job she was with you when it happened, it doesn't sound as if he would have even noticed if she has still been in his care ( well there wasn't any care was there! ) we've dealt with 2 prolapses in the last year and it's stressful hoping you are doing the right thing, I know we would have done the same as you if it had been too big to get back in. Sending you big {hug}
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
lulie999
Lively Laner

Post by lulie999 »

ahh poor u, i lost one ov my girls about 3 weeks agoshe died in her sleep too and my girls havent laid not one single egg since has it affected any of the others? so sorry for ur loss {hug}