My new Dominique hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

My new Dominique hens

Post by ChickenCarol »

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking for a while but haven't had anything to say until now, but yesterday I finally got my three Dominique hens! It was so exciting!

I have learnt so much from reading the posts on this site, and you guys seem so enthusiastic about chicken keeping.

Today they are out in their big enclosure and are just starting to explore and venture away from the safety of their coop.

I have been so excited about this that I have decided to start my own new chicken blog. If you are interested feel free to drop by and leave a comment here: http://www.carolschickens.com/.

I'm sure you will be hearing a lot more from me in the future as this seems the best place to ask all my chicken questions!

Carol

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: My new Dominique hens

Post by MissEllie »

Welcome to the Lane, your girls look lovely peeking out the door :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Fellsider
Lively Laner

Post by Fellsider »

Welcome :-D

Your girls look beautiful )t'
Ruled by Henry, the miniature serama cockerel who thinks he is 10 feet tall.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Wellcome from me to they are very pretty girls :-D
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
manda

Post by manda »

Lovely pics Carol ...welcome to the Lane from me as well..

Not wishing to put a damper on anything but keep an eye on them and that lovely apple tree ...as that grows you might find they use it as a leg up to get over the fence...I say this as that's how mine put themselvs to bed at night..into theplum trees and then up into the shelterbelt...just a heads up ...might not happen but forewarned and all that jazz :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Welcome...have to agree with Manda. Also it looks as if your neighbour has a very convenient flat roof for a fox to pop on to and into the pen.
ihatejacknjills
Lively Laner

Post by ihatejacknjills »

I've seen her run (I'm her son) and she has a net over the top of the run so I don't think the chickens would ever be able to get out. You can't see it in the pictures but I think it would be good enough.

What you said about next door's flat roof could be an issue though. I'm not sure if she's thought about foxes climbing in from the top. I suppose you always tend to think of them digging under...
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

If you think of a fox as a cross between a cat and a dog, you'll be fairly close as to their ability to get up and over or under etc etc...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have Knowels net over the top which I was advised is the correct net to keep the hens from getting out or anything getting in, it is quite tough. Also they will be shut in the coop at night. I have done everything that I have researched to make it safe. I value all advise though as I want to do everything I can to protect my girls.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

great blog will be following with interest nice run too envy}}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx