Urgent Help! Hens pecking anothers back :(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Liam
Lively Laner

Urgent Help! Hens pecking anothers back :(

Post by Liam »

Hello,

I came home after school today to let my chickens out their run and I found the hen from the bottom of the pecking order pecking at the back of the hen at the top of the pecking orders back. I thought the hen was going into moult as she has been losing a lot of feathers lately but where I saw the hen pecking at the other ones back it is all bald and looks bloody. What should I do? )hlp>

wendy

Re: Urgent Help! Hens pecking anothers back :(

Post by wendy »

I had this once. I made a chicken saddle.
Cut a round, the size of a dinner plate, in an old Fleece. Cut a slit near the top for the head and once each side for the wings. Slipped it on [she did look a bit like batman :? ] but it stopped it and once the feathers grew back all was well again.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Liam
Lively Laner

Post by Liam »

Thanks but why is this happening she is top of the pecking order?
Liam
Lively Laner

Post by Liam »

We've taken her out of the free range area because they keep attacking her. She is in a lot of pain and the wound looks very painful. We are going to take her to the vet as she is obviously in a lot of pain and she seems like she has lost a lot of weight.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well if the area is bloody they will peck it. That is why I said cover it. Sometimes when they go into a moult it seems to knock the stuffing [no pun here] out of them and they seem to down in the order.
As to what goes on in their heads or what they are thinking. Your guess is as good as mine. >shrug< But if I knew I could make a lot of money )grin2( .
Good you are taking her to the vet, if you think she is off colour. )t'

Liam
Lively Laner

Post by Liam »

We took her to the vet and the result was ok. She is a bit ill, very underweight and has various peck wounds. The vet found a lump under her body I'm not to sure where which could be a possible tumor. We have been told to keep her separate from the other hens and if she gets better puts the weight back on and the wounds heal then we can introduce her back to the group but if she doesn't and she gets worse we may have to put her down. {cry}
wendy

Post by wendy »

They do look awful one day and then start to perk up, so don't give up too soon.
When she gets a little better, put a sweet hen in with her. So when she goes back in the flock she will only have 50% of the attention.
>gl<

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

As Wendy says, hopefully she'll perk up now she's away from the others. >fi<
Let us know how she gets on Liam
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Try putting some Sudacream on the wounds, this will protect the wound somewhat and promote healing!, you could also increase her protein levels with mealworms or maggots (not dyed maggots though!).. )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

hope she picks up soon liam dont get too down she went to the vet you did the best thing give her some good protein and feed her up on healthy food and plenty of tlc and watch her carefully )t' dont worry too much >ch< these little girls can usually suprise us after all we are only mere humans
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Liam
Lively Laner

Post by Liam »

Hello,

Update on my chicken. We've kept her separate from the other two for over a week and the wound on the top seems to of healed but there aren't any feathers grown over it yet. She is still very bald around her vent. We've sprayed this spray we got from a pet store which has a bad smell and taste on her. We re-introduced her back to the group and the hen that was previously at the bottom of the pecking order has carried on pecking her and the other one doesn't seem to be as interested but has pecked her a bit here and there.

What should we do? Should we keep her separate still? How long is this going to go on for?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Glad she's doing better Liam, if it's only one hen bullying her can you separate the bully for a day or two? Sometimes that knocks them back down a peg or 2.
Things like mealworms and maggots can give them a protein boost which is good for feather regrowth I think.
I'm sure someone else will pop along with advice soon. )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Liam
Lively Laner

Post by Liam »

The only thing is, is that the place where we have separated the other 2 hens from her is not safe from predators, so for example if a cat comes along 2 are more likely to protect themselves than 1.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

if you are going to seperate her liam she absolutley needs to be safe from predators do you have an old dog crate can you borrow can you split the run/coop in half using chicken wire she needs to see them and they need to see her,you may have to think hard to get something together but you obviously love this little hen and you will find a way round it liam ,you could try seperating the bullies and leave her with the nice hens that dont peck her but i would also protect the healing injuries as hens can be vicious ,try wendys little cape idea,really feed her up on proteins and pelletts and the feathers will take their time to grow back as for the bullying it is a pain i admit but they have to sort the pecking order out and until its sorted it will carry on just protect that little hen all you can good luck,im glad she is getting better keep up the good work keep us updated on how you get on and be sure to ask for help again if you need it ,if she is in the coop with the others dont feed treats all together as it can encourage bullying,and give her plenty of places to get away from the others ie upturned plant pots.a box she can hide on alittle upturned box with a little door cut in it all litlle safe places she can hide )t' my pal used an old beach windbreaker to split her coop in half and another pal used an old tent groundsheet even an old bedshhet can be used
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx