Continuing Strange Tasting Eggs (No longer first)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Continuing Strange Tasting Eggs (No longer first)

Post by ChickenCarol »

Sorry to have to start a new thread with this but we have run out of pages and the eggs are technically no longer first eggs.

To answer the recent question on the ground they are on, it was a garden area before we had the chickens and I researched which plants were bad for chickens (jasmine didn't come up) and cleared the ground of all but the really big shrubs which give shelter from sun and rain and the apple tree, a sage which they stripped back in summer and the dreaded jasmine. I read that daffodil and tulip bulbs were bad and foxgloves and ferns, so dug everything out and kept the ground clear for about three months before the chickens arrived. I added sand and wood chip in to help with mud but that has long been dug in. I poop pick every day and every week poop pick then dig over so it's not too compacted. We also put a water proof sheet over part of the outside area to give some dry area as well as the roofed patio area.

We tasted Treacle's egg (laid this morning) and we think it's a bit less strong but still quite unpleasant. maybe it needs more time. I am beginning to struggle with being able to taste if it's less strong as self doubt creeps in but we both agreed we thought it was very slightly better.

Pepper is squatting and looked interested in Treacle in the nest box this morning which is the first time she has shown interest, so I think she will start laying soon. This will help us to know if it the jasmine as she wasn't eating it. Fingers crossed and thanks again for everyone's support.

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Continuing Strange Tasting Eggs (No longer first)

Post by jackian »

>fi< >fi< I have been thinking about you .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Thank you Jackie. They have been on your pellets since you gave them to me and you are right about the poop. I am now noticing less sloppy poops, just wish the eggs would hurry up and get better!
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

I will continue to hope that it is the jasmine taking its time to get processed inside their bellies, hence still musty eggs. >fi<
Thanks for keeping us updated I am just sorry it's not better news.....
Also hope you are not an alcoholic yet! )hic(
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Fingers crossed things get better soon >fi<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have just tasted Bluebell's egg from yesterday and it really was less strong, almost passable. I feel really encouraged by this. To me this means it was the jasmine and just takes a while to get through their system. It was so much better, almost normal that I think by the weekend we may have some eggs we can eat, that will be such a relief. Hurrah!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

That's good news carol )c( they'll be a collective whoop when we hear you have a lovely tasting egg :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Well that is encouraging! It feels as though all the Laners are holding their breaths until the good news arrives. )eat(
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

It's definitely more exciting than Coronation Street ~eep~

Waiting with bated breath >gl<
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Onwards and upwards Carol.

Richard )t' )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

I can't wait for you to say I have eaten an egg and it was gorgeous, then we can all celebrate )t'
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

We are on our way to it at last. This morning we tried both Treacle's and Bluebell's eggs both laid yesterday (side by side in the nest box, So sweet! Treacle's was still warm and Bluebells cool) and their was a really noticeable improvement. They tasted almost normal so we feel a few more days and we should be able to eat them.

Because it's been a gradual improvement it has been difficult some days to tell if it was our imagination or wishful thinking, but this morning it really was much better. I feel so relieved.

This has been a long process and if we had only realized sooner that it was the jasmine we could have been eating our eggs by now but hind sight is a wonderful thing!

Thank you so much to everyone for your continuing support with this. You kept me going when it was really depressing and kept me thinking of different things to try. This has really been a learning experience and I am sure we will all remember for ever that jasmine is bad for chickens! Again Thank you so much.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

)c( )c( )app( )app(
What can I say .."If I had not come to see your chickens that day and your husband had not joined in the conversation you might still be going around the bend." {rofwl}

jackie xx
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I did say to Richard that if we hadn't eventually decided to remove the jasmine (which I think we would have at some stage) the eggs may have got better once they had stripped it all and no longer had any leaves to eat. But then it may have grown back in spring and the problem come back.

Even so sometimes as you say having a third person there makes you look at things in a different way and it speeded up getting it resolved.

Through this forum as well as everyone's input I have now met you Jackie and that in itself has been worth it. Every cloud has a silver lining! :-D
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Oh my word! I'm so happy for you. I won't crack open the wincarnis until I hear that you have had a "normal" egg but I'm so pleased to hear that you think you've cracked it no pun intended).

)t'
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.