marek's treatment??

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
rhiannon
Learner Laner

marek's treatment??

Post by rhiannon »

Hi guys, Ive had Rosie our ex-batt in our intensive care unit (aka-the down stairs loo!) for about 17days now, she was brought in because she couldnt stand up.

she has been resting next to the radiator and is very alert, eating well but her left leg has migrated backwards whilst her right leg is now streatched forwards. she also seems to have a grape sized growth near her vent and after speeking to a hen enthusiast I am pretty sure its Mareks.

does any one know what else I can be doing for her other then keeping her warm and fed? she is starting to get a bed sore on her breast bone even though im turning her regularly. feeling like im not doing much for her other than waiting for the inevitable!
when life hands you lemons....make the fattest lemon cake and scoff the lot!!

Maggie1

Re: marek's treatment??

Post by Maggie1 »

I've just looked Mareks up and found its highly contagious and is kinder to be put to sleep. Sorry I'm only relaying what I've read
rhiannon
Learner Laner

Post by rhiannon »

shes kept away from the others but can Marek's affect other animals such as dogs??
when life hands you lemons....make the fattest lemon cake and scoff the lot!!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I lost a couple to mareks...........I dont think there is any cure {cry}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

Hi - I'm not disagreeing with your diagnosis of Mareks, but just wanted to put forward an alternative....

Our hen, aged about 18 months, displayed similar symptons - initially couldn't stand for long, then didn't stand at all, then one of her legs stayed straight out behind her. We could manipulate it gently to bend, but it always went back rigid and behind her. I never noticed a growth on her.

We took her for a second diagnosis to the vet after about 10 days (excellent chicken vet this time) and he was of the opinion it was either kidney or liver failure. He said he would prescribe antibiotics if we wanted to try that option, but his honest opinion was it wouldn't cure her..... We made the difficult decision to have her pts. {cry}

I was reassured that it wasn't poisoning or something contagious as I didn't want the rest of the flock to be put at risk.... Something I appreciate you're concerned about....
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Also...

Being an ex batt she would have been vaccinated against Mareks - there is only around 1 in 1000 chance of still contracting the disease after vaccination. Plus they normally contract the disease between 5 - 25 weeks old, sometimes up to 40 weeks old. Older birds can develop it but highly unusual. I would think by her age and the fact she was almost certainly vaccinated, it is unlikely to be Mareks :?

Other symptoms include one of the iris's turning grey - have you checked her eyes?

It could possibly be a stroke or nerve damage.

I think she needs to see a vet, do you have a good poultry vet near you?

>fi< >fi<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway