And then there was three...

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LisaB

And then there was three...

Post by LisaB »

I'm quite shocked, Thea's just passed away.

All girls were fine yesterday, checked all their crops (keep doing this at the moment with all the problems we're having) late afternoon and all felt fine. No one was showing signs of illness (apart from Ivy, she's been slowing down for a while), Thea was chasing me around for maggots and everything.

Opened the pophole this morning and she didn't come out, found her in the corner, comb was purple, checked her over and her crop was sour! Tipped her up and cleared the gunk, popped her by her water whilst I got ready, by the time I was done she had passed away under one of the trees {cry}

I can't believe it! I always lose two girls within a week of each other for some bizarre reason {cry}

Linsi30
Lively Laner

Re: And then there was three...

Post by Linsi30 »

Aww bless her. {cry}
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

So sorry Lisa. It seems to be one thing after another doesn't it :? It must seem so strange with just 3 little girls now {hug} {hug}
LYN
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lisa, I'm so very sorry to hear about Thea {cry}

Fly high little one {hug}

You really are having a rough time at the moment aren't you {hug} it's horrible loosing a little lady, really is and it doesn't get any easier. In the last five months we've sadly lost three {cry} Sometimes I feel like the worst chicken owner in the world!
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

So sorry Lisa {hug}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks everyone {hug}

I do feel like a really bad chicken owner at the moment. I went over a year without losing any, now lost 6 and had to rehome 1 in 3-4 months {cry}

I don't think Ivy will be around for that long either, she'll be over 3 now and is just getting slow and not joining in as much with the others :( It really doesnt get any easier.

The run looks empty.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Oh Lisa {hug} {hug} I'm sorry you've lost her - just try and concentrate on the good times you gave her {hug}
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you {hug}

As my mum had a day off work today we decided to clear the run out and get it ready for spring, took all the dead christmas trees out etc, looks so much better.
Apart from losing Thea, and it would of been nice if she was still here today, I am enjoying chicken keeping so much more with just a small flock, theyre just so nice and chirpy, I've loved this afternoon {hug}
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

LisaB wrote:Thank you {hug}

As my mum had a day off work today we decided to clear the run out and get it ready for spring, took all the dead christmas trees out etc, looks so much better.
Apart from losing Thea, and it would of been nice if she was still here today, I am enjoying chicken keeping so much more with just a small flock, theyre just so nice and chirpy, I've loved this afternoon {hug}

So glad you're feeling a bit better Lisa {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

So sorry Lisa {cry}

Could there possibly be anything in the run that is causing crop problems? It just seems like you have had more than your fair share of crop problems in such a short space of time. Possibly having a really good clear up in the run today was well timed. I don't know... just thinking out loud really.

{hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I've been thinking about it Lucy, but there's only wood chips (and dead leaves) on the floor, but it's been like that for well over a year, so seems weird for it to be starting now? :?

Does anyone know if older ex-batts are more susceptible to this sort of thing? Like their body's just not working as well or something?

I took all the wood shavings out but Thea still got poorly, and they just ripped all the news paper and started eating that so I took all that out today and have gone back to woodshavings for the time being (havent seen them eat any)

Thea's just seemed to go sour extremely quickly, it definitely wasn't impacted or anything beforehand, not her crop anyway, but her comb was so purple and she went so quick i think her death must of been related to her heart, maybe? >coc<

Pip also had peritonitis when she got impacted crop, not sure if that's linked at all?

I'm very baffled by it all :?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

So sorry this has happened again Lisa {cry} is there any chance the needles from the dead Christmas tree have been picked up by the girls? I'm sure you've probably thought of every possible problem though.
Sending and your chooks a {hug} {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Thats very hard to bear Lisa, but she went quickly which was good for her sake. You know you have given these poor little ex-batts a great life, so dont be too sad, and certainly dont blame yourself - how lucky were they to have you. {hug}
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

So sorry Lisa {cry}
{hug} to you and your remaining three girls.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Aww Lisa, you are NOT a bad chicken Mummy but you are a very unlucky one. {cry} I know how awful it is to lose one but you have had a very sad time of it {hug} {hug} {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx