How much Harkamectin and how?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

How much Harkamectin and how?

Post by HazellB »

How much Harkamectin do you use (if you use it) per hen and how do you dose with it? In the USA I've read they use Ivermectin based wormers (which is what harka is) orally, but here we tend to go for dropped on the skin.

Anyway, have you used it and how much for large fowl, bantams, etc?

(And yes, I do know we shouldn't use it legally, but I've seen it and other non-hen wormers/treatments mentioned so often on here that's a moot point now)
)w(
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: How much Harkamectin and how?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Morning Hazell,
Never heard of Ivermectin being used as a wormer, I thought it was purely for mites, lice etc.
We use Ivermectin 0.8% on our birds with the dosage, recommended by our vet, as two drops for bantams, three drops for lighter breeds and four drops for large breeds applied to the back of the lower neck.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Grand, that means I worked it out correctly and didn't over or under dose my lot yesterday. Thanks to you both. )t'

Yes, Dom, it was originally a wormer and the mite use is only after it was discovered to kill biting insects and so on, on horses and cattle. Given orally it was the most common horse wormer until new ones became available a few years ago and I think it's still the most used cattle wormer (but of course that might have changed with new Panacures on the market that can be drenched on the spine).

Yes, I'm a bit of a worm geek :oops:
At leasty on my other animals .... and thanks to your help I'm getting there on chickens now :-D

By the way, I met the folks at Harka last year at a pet food trade fair and they promised me they're working on a foolproof, effective chicken version. No sign yet, but maybe in a year or two it'll hit the shelves.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

I use Ivermectin in the dosage of 4 drops for the smaller girls, 5 for the big girls and 6 for the boys.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.