ADVICE REALLY

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
paulridley
Learner Laner

ADVICE REALLY

Post by paulridley »

We have just bought 23 ex-battery hens 1 week ago and am looking for advice as to how and at what stage do we introduce them to or existing 'flock' of 3 silkie cockerels and 1 other cockerel and our 4 hybrid hens who all live and run freely and happily around our smallholding of about 1 acre and sleep in an old stable seperate (next door) from the ex-batt's.
Do we as some have suggested let them get on with it as eventually the plan is to build a coop to hold them all in at nightime.

thanx

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: ADVICE REALLY

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Paul,
Greetings and welcome to The Lane )wav(
No experience of ex batts myself but I'm sure one of the ex batty keepers will be along soon )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

Welcome to the forum )wav( and well done you for taking on so many little battered ones.
I would leave it for a while. As their bones are very brittle when they come from the cages and the 'attentions' of randy cockerels may cause problems.
I have heard of broken legs and once a broken back.
So I would get them back to full health and fitness before subjecting them to the boys. I know silkies are littlies, but these girls bones are fragile.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

wendy wrote:Welcome to the forum )wav( and well done you for taking on so many little battered ones.
I would leave it for a while. As their bones are very brittle when they come from the cages and the 'attentions' of randy cockerels may cause problems.
I have heard of broken legs and once a broken back.
So I would get them back to full health and fitness before subjecting them to the boys. I know silkies are littlies, but these girls bones are fragile.

I agree, let them recover first. Whenever I add new hens, my Charlie goes mental - and the poor girls get so irritated by him. It's like putting a 15 year old boy in a WI meeting. Good luck with it all, I'm sure they will recover really quickly, and it will be lovely to see them thriving after their awful experience. )t'
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]