There was no sign of trouble . . .

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

There was no sign of trouble . . .

Post by bmpsands »

but when I opened the coops up just now one of my girls has died! I cannot believe that after a coldish, dampish day they spent a lovely evening in late sunshine scratching about and so went to bed late - all apparently in good form and I find this now.

She was one of my first chooks; they were about 3 years old we think when we got them so she's 4ish now (or was . . . oh dear).

It seems to me that I've read about hens who, being prey, conceal anything wrong with them. She seemed OK before; not laying very often but happy, normal poos etc.

What have I missed? I'm so shocked I haven't even registered which one it is and since I haven't been worried about any of them I can't guess.

Sorry - I'm rambling. It's the shock.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.

davina112
Legendary Laner

Re: There was no sign of trouble . . .

Post by davina112 »

Sorry to hear that, they do indeed hide illness but also they seem to die quickly for no apparent reason.
[center][/center]Davina
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww am sorry to hear this, it is a shock, it happened to me I was absolutely shocked lifting the coop door and seeing her there, it is one of those things I am afraid, they hide it well and sadly go as Davina says for no apparent reason, fly high over Rainbow Bridge little on and hugs to you {hug}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

So sorry {cry} {cry} {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Can understand your shock. So sad when it happens. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww that often happens. But at least she died peacefully in her sleep with her friends around. All we could ask for.
{hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I was just saying something similar to Ken, Wendy. She had a lovely evening, had a grape before settling down and seemed to have snuggled into a nest and just fallen asleep. That's the way to do it.

So, little CJ (for it was she) has now been laid to rest. I'm unclear about the regulations but she is at the side of the beans patch, under the shade of a beech tree.

Thanks to those of you who say that it happens like this sometimes. I did check her over; no swellings, mess, crop not quite empty, no sign of injury. I'm trying not to feel guilty and your comments have helped.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Fly high little CJ
{hug} for you {hug}
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I remember feeling exactly the same and also terribly guilty when the first of our ex-bats died that way. I realise now that they often suffer strokes and heart attacks, which are both instantaneous, as well as the other conditions that they are able to hide. As you say, it's the best way to go, and after excellent quality of life as well. Very sad, but one of those things - all of us, chickens too, have to go sometime.
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

such a shock when you open a coop to find a little dead hen, but if she was unwell or ill, so much better and easier for her - and you - to go so quickly in her sleep with no symptoms. I had a smashing little hen, who was 8 years old, fade away over a week or so - sheer absolute torture to watch, and hoping every morning she would be gone. {hug} to you
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

{hug} {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: There was no sign of troubl.e . . .

Post by Totally Scrambled »

They do indeed just fall off their perch sometimes with no warning.
Re regulations for disposal of dead animals, technically you are not allowed to bury any none native species. But who is going to know.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

So sorry to hear your sad news and sending you a hug {hug} Please try not to feel guilty, it sounds as if she had a beautiful last day and a lovley home, that is what matters xxx
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

{hug}
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

So sorry to hear this, as others have said they do do this sometimes and it was just her time, burying farm animals in your garden is not allowed because of risk of run off into water courses, however I know people do it and how likely is it going to affect a water course in your garden, just make sure the grave is deep , I lost and buried Gytha months ago now and something managed to dig her bones up which was quite distressing for me at the time