lumps on comb?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
GailC
Lively Laner

lumps on comb?

Post by GailC »

Hello, I´m hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on a problem I have discovered with my 3 hens. They have all got 1 or 2 small hard lumps on their combs and when i tried to scratch one off i could tell it was a hard lump rather than a scab. lWould anyone have any idea what these lumps might be? i thought perhaps ticks but there is a hard skin over the lump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Re: lumps on comb?

Post by chookmike »

Hello GailC

No real idea but as all 3 are affected perhaps they are insect bites?

Best guess. I know from experience that Portugal has some mean mozzies, and the comb is full of blood...?

Mike
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

take a photograph and let us have a look )t' maybe we can help shed some light on it
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
GailC
Lively Laner

Post by GailC »

Thanks for your replies

This is extremely embarassing and will probably result in me being ridiculed by the laners for the rest of my life but I didnt want to ignore your questions. The lumps on the hens' combs appear to be mud!! :oops:
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Brilliant error and great news that you don't have a problem. Perhaps Portugese mud looks different? {rofwl}

Mike
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

You've just made me smile - I was convinced mine all had tumours when I first got them (it was their crops of course) {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."