Rhode Island Red

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fur and feathers
Lively Laner

Rhode Island Red

Post by fur and feathers »

I am about to get 2 young RIR girls next week and don't know much about them as a breed?

I used to have a Light Sussex and an Austrolorp - Tilly and Milly. Unfortunately I had to move and couldn't keep them. But I'm now finally in a place where I can have chickens again and I can't wait for them to arrive! >eas2<

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Rhode Island Red

Post by Mo »

RIR are the parents in a lot of the high laying hybrids, battery hens etc.
My Black Rocks are RIR x Plymouth Rocks, useful and attractive.

Enjoy them. And welcome to the LAne.

Tell us a bit about yourself, and your set-up. Where are they going to live. Someone is sure to say '3 is better than 2' so have you got room for a third?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

I inherited 3 older RIRs (now all gone), they are quite heavy birds (dual ie meat and eggs) and mine never laid a lot (probably age related) but they are calm easy going hen and I would have them again.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I got 5 Point-of-Lay hens almost 3 weeks ago, 2 RIR's 2 Black Rocks and a Maran. The RIR's are the calmest out of them and get on well with the others. According to the breeder they are now 23 weeks but no eggs yet. They are nce looking birds and I'm glad I chose them. I'm looking forward to our first eggs.
fur and feathers
Lively Laner

Post by fur and feathers »

When I first started keeping chickens I was told '3's better than 2' so I got 3 but found that 3 hens lay just too many eggs for a little family of 3! I gave 1 back to the friend who had given them to me and was so happy with just my 2 girls, Milly and Tilly! A Light Sussex and an Australorp. They made such a nice pair doing everything together, although Tilly was the leader getting into mischief first :-D

I'm on a smallish property so can't have too many as I plan to have them free range in the back garden (dogs in the front!) I'm also considering going into breeding Buff Orpingtons (on a small scale) as there seems to be a huge demand for them in my area and none available. And they really are stunning birds!

But then again... I really do like Australorps too... :? This chicken thing really is very addictive isn't it ?{rofwl} I would never have thought a "simple" chicken could bring so much fun, love and happiness(and health) into one's life.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I had a hell of a time trying to find breeders in my area who had stock. In the end I had to travel 40 miles to get mine, so like you I considered breeding in the future when I have more experience. But, TBH, I think there is a reason breeders are hard to find = there's very little money in it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
kindle
Learner Laner

Post by kindle »

Hi there,

My first post (hello all )t' ). Am new to chooks, got my 6 gorgeous girls at the beginning of June.

Amongst my little flock I have a RIR, goes by the name of Princess Esme, she is a treasure! Where the other girl's seem to have read most (but not all) of the rule book, she simply does as she pleases, today I found myself crawling through a holly bush to the back of the shed to retrieve her first egg, which she had hidden under a pile of leaves :-D (if sellers dates were right makes her about 30 weeks). The other girls thought the nesting boxes were just fine when they laid their first eggs.

At night the other girls jump up onto their perches to roost, princess Esme however waits just inside the door for myself or OH to lift her up. I know she can get up herself as on the nights when I haven't 'tucked them in' till later she gets herself up. Don't suppose spoilt brat is mentioned in the guides to chicken breeds! She is sweet, friendly and very calm (pecks treats from my hand gently not like a pneumatic drill, like some of the others).

That said I wouldn't swop any of them - can't believe how much joy they bring and how different their personalities are - wish I'd had them years ago >ch<

Oh and just to add, this site is great, have found the answers to a million and one questions that have cropped up since the girls arrived - thank you.

Cheers x
Gladys (amber star), Glenda (bluebell), Bertha (rhode rock), Esme (RIR), Harriet (columbian blacktail), Mable (speckeldy)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

kindle wrote:Hi there,

My first post (hello all )t' ). Am new to chooks, got my 6 gorgeous girls at the beginning of June.

That said I wouldn't swop any of them - can't believe how much joy they bring and how different their personalities are - wish I'd had them years ago >ch<

Cheers x

Welcome. To the Lane, and to the joys of hens.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Mo wrote:
kindle wrote:Hi there,

Cheers x

Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping from me and my 4 girls.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown