covering runs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

covering runs

Post by FURNYFARMER »

many of you have suggested i cover my run to prevent smells, now i feel a bit stupid asking but do you mean cover the outside of the run with tarpaulin so nasty niffs cant get out? or do you mean something on the floor? :?

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: covering runs

Post by aishakali »

Make a roof for your run to keep the rain out :-D Either tarpaulin or a solid roof ie: corrugated plastic or similar. If you keep your run floor dry it will cut down on smells one heck of a lot )t'
P.S Have a look on "members coops", 1st item on chicken keeping.
LYN
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

We got our lovely girls 3 years ago and had made a really nice Walk-in-Run ,but we had forgotten rain .
The first day it bucketed down and they were water logged and so was the run .
So we covered it that very day in the pouring rain with corregated plastic sheets and it has been great ever since. (Make sure they slope so the rain goes off .)It is lovely and dry and because I use stalosan it stays smell free and although they FR most of the day they are quite happy to go in when it is raining .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Like J ackian my roof is covered with clear Perspex so it doesn't get too wet and it doesn't smell, a shot of Stalosan F every so often helps too.

Maggie
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

Post by FURNYFARMER »

thanks for the replies. i got some polythene from work last week and covered the run and low and behold all the smells have gone! its amazing and its certainly made my wife happy!
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

No more smells! great :-D Plus a happy wife is always a good thing )t'
LYN