STORM WARNING!!!!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
silverback
Legendary Laner

STORM WARNING!!!!!

Post by silverback »

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I would mention the storm warning for the UK, make sure your chicken coops are protected from any falling debris, like branches from trees etc, if the coop/run is under a tree or near it, that also goes for fences as well )t' .
Not trying to teach anybody the obvious, but sometimes we take things for granted, and forget to batten down the hatches in times like this! :oops:

Stay safe!.... )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.

p.penn

Re: STORM WARNING!!!!!

Post by p.penn »

Good thinking! I'm dreading it as we are very exposed here
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Fortunately I know who built our large coop.

Unfortunately, it was me yike*

I remember '87 very well as I lived on the edge of a forest. Luckily the wind was going into the trees rather than out of them toward the house but I saw boughs a foot in diameter flying across the half acre 20 feet up .....No idea where they came from.

While they got it wrong back then I think they over do the warnings now - we get a yellow for an inch of rain nowadays, but better safe than sorry so will batten down tomorrow, garden umbrella an obvious one but all loose stuff stowed away - good reason to tidy the garden. On balance I think I will shut all vents into the coop tomorrow night as wind stuck inside with nowhere to go is how the roof gets blown off. We holiday in a hurricane area and they tape up every air leak and hunker down for the duration. Make the wind go around your buildings, not through them.

Good luck

Mike
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I remember the 1987 storm very well as I was living in the south at the time and seeing the total destruction of trees across streets onto cars or houses is something you don't forget. Like then, the trees here are still full of leaf and the neighbour's tall ash tree is just 20 feet from my house in direct line of the storm, with the chicken run under the branches yike* The rest of the garden is fairly sheltered so the greenhouses and polytunnel should be fine >fi< but I think I will be battening the hatches down just in case.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Tomorrow morning it is my main job for the day.
I think everything is safe but is it?
I have just this evening taken down the sun umbrella which they use as an umbrella for shelter but feel this weekend and later could be used as a sail .
I live in the south and have a wood at the bottom of my garden (not mine sadly) so anything could happen
fingers crossed >fi<
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Yes - trees in almost full leaf and soft saturated ground.

I hate seeing trees over and just hope they are wrong. The web says it was over the great lakes in N America yesterday but travelling at 200mph and will deepen as it meets the jet stream.

My barometer is still at 1001 so no sign yet. The radio has just given us wind of 80mph plus.

Stay safe all
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I shall have a tidy of the garden and make sure my chainsaw, pruning saw and billhook are handy in case anything goes over.
Might be a good chance to stock up on firewood.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Don't know about it starting in the South, the wind and rain have been howling here all day! I am worried about the girls they are in a fixed run with their solid coop inside this is all under a large fir tree . I suppose we shall all have to suck and see as we haven't seen such a storm for years,I am frightened to be honest, too much information these days to put in the fear, at least M Fish
gave us incorrect info in 1996 so we didn't panic,but the after effects were devastating.

Maggie
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I remember the 87 one only too well, I took my HGV driving test the next day, fallen trees, traffic lights out, you name it, I did pass though )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

It still seems a bit up in the air where the storm will hit ?

Very windy for awhile tonight but seems very calm at the moment i guess we will just have to see how it goes .
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Pressure down to 960mb and we've just had a hailstorm then clear blue sky here in Hertfordshire.

Mike
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

This morning in Bucks it has rained all night and it is windy but a beautiful sunny morning but not expecting it to last ..Lull before the storm?
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

That weather clip was so unexpected. I thought it was going to be serious! I laughed so much I had to play it again for my husband.

Plenty of rain this morning but as Jackie says it's blue sky and sun at the moment. We have done everything we can but are rather surrounded by trees. There isn't much we can do about the trees but hope for the best.
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

In the North West its a yellow warning "be aware"

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... nings.html

I think its still a bit up in the air as to where and how bad it could be , i hope my roof on the run stays on
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We have a Boy Scouts warning here with Insurance Companies telling householders to protect their houses >coc<
Dom
Ali Woks My World