Corn crazy.......What have I started?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

tucker wrote:I am in the market for a decent feeder

have a look on here
scroll to the bottom of this page(the linked page )
i bought the last one on this page and all my 15 birds fit around it at once
not bad for £7
the drinker was only £10
the roll away boxes £125
http://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsRe ... .asp?cat=4
ps dont tell the wife how much )t'
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln

plumbob
Lively Laner

Post by plumbob »

brilliant link Dave i will be buying feeders/drinkers from there very cheap as well good postage costs. i wont tell your mrs
My wife .Her dog. Her parrot.MY CHICKENS.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Leave that to me dave i will tell the Mrs for you! )t'

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
tucker
Learner Laner

Post by tucker »

Many thanks for the links.

I'll have a proper look at those and see if there is something suitable.
tucker
Learner Laner

Post by tucker »

Just an update:

I stopped the corn in the pellets and they have stopped tipping it out and spilling it everywhere, so lesson learnt and normal service resumed!!

I've started just scaterring the corn for a treat, normally when they are out in the garden.
thebunster
Lively Laner

Post by thebunster »

Oops! I made that mistake last week, and the my girls shovelled all the pellets out of the feeder to get to the corn!

I stand the feeder in a small cat litter tray, so at least spillage is contained and can be tipped back into the feeder.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi bunster (f+ (f+ (f+

thats a really good idea )t' )t' )t'

i got a spare one going to put it in now )c(

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
clarey
Lively Laner

Post by clarey »

I use three cheap cat litter trays under their perch in the henhouse too - that way I only need to clean out the litter trays most of the time, not the whole coop!
Am going to buy another one now to go under their feeder, thanks for the tip! :)
Living in the lovely back end of nowhere with one Border Terrier, one Cocker Spaniel puppy, one Toddler, one Husband, two Chooks and a Big Old Mess!
freshface
Learner Laner

Post by freshface »

I'm about to pick up my first chickens tomorrow, and I too have mixed my corn and pellets together in a big dustbin as suggested in the video in the chicken keeping section of this website! Why is that being suggested to newbies like me if it is going to cause problems? Very frustrating.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

freshface wrote:I'm about to pick up my first chickens tomorrow, and I too have mixed my corn and pellets together in a big dustbin as suggested in the video in the chicken keeping section of this website! Why is that being suggested to newbies like me if it is going to cause problems? Very frustrating.

:shock: notmee
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

freshface wrote:I'm about to pick up my first chickens tomorrow, and I too have mixed my corn and pellets together in a big dustbin as suggested in the video in the chicken keeping section of this website! Why is that being suggested to newbies like me if it is going to cause problems? Very frustrating.

thats the very reason why i did it aswell!!!

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

me to confused>

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I dont see a great problem mixing both together at all !

I have mine in seperate bags but mix them together before giving them to the girls!
Mine eat the whole lot, but then i mix mine as a mash they love it!

As you have not yet got your girls see how it goes, if they decide to throw the pellets out mix with a little water until they get used to it

Its really all down to personal taste and trial and error

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
freshface
Learner Laner

Post by freshface »

Thanks for the advice Stace, I'll bear it in mind.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mine will eat anything if its mixed to a mash... I'd agree with the others who have suggested it, rather than waste your 'mix' pour some warm water over it and let it stand so it turns to a 'porridge' that way they'll eat the lot...
Would it be possible to buy a small bag of layers pellets to feed dry in the mornings when they're hungry? then you could use the wet mixture in the afternoons and they wont get to used to feeding only wet food...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein