Three New ladies

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Three New ladies

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Eventually got three more hens today .

2 light sussex and a magpie .

A bit of a nightmare when they first went in , the first 15 minutes lots of noise from the oldies and the new three just ignored them and went about doing chicken things .

3 of the 5 oldies even went for a nosey and nothing happened . I thought it was to good to be true and then the largest ex bat went for one of the sussex hens and a 30 second scrap took place with the x bat coming worst off and got her comb pecked . I was expecting the pecking order to re establish with some argy bargy but not as bad as this .

The original x bat who is "top hen" wont give up with the larger sussex who is obviously head girl out of the three newbies but get on fine (was all in the same run at purchase) .

So it would seem these 2 hens wont give in until one is "top hen" , all the others just squabble a bit but nothing more than a 1-2 second interlude .

Any way i had a plan in place and the three newbies are sectioned off but do not like it all and want more space , as soon as the barrier is down peace only lasts 10 minutes before the x bat and the same sussex hen go at it with the x bat coming worse off but will not give in and is the one to kick it off every time .

I let them all together again at dusk and they had a peaceful 20 minutes (of sorts) before all going to bed like best mates .

No doubt it will all kick off again tommorow , not to sure on separateing them again or just to watch and see how it pans out .

Anyway heres some pictures...

This is the area they have to themselves with there own feeder and water ...

Here is the ex bat "top hen" , although i think she will have her work cut out against the sussex which is a heavier and slightly larger hen (and younger ) but really wants her place at the top of the pecking order to re main .

This lovely lady just wants everyone to be friends and runs off and hides in the coop and wont get involved at all and never has and is the bottom hen as far as i can tell and has gone from being terfied of me to the most friendly hen who likes being petted .
Strange things chickens !

Any thoughts or advice always welcome )t'

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Three New ladies

Post by jackian »

They are just lovely ..They will be stunning )t'

But in my experience and I am sure some one will disagree {warn} They need to be separated for at least a week or two ,being able to see each other but not touch . Make sure you have extra feeding places and water bowls .
As some one on here once said ..How would you like to come home and find some one new in your bed ?{rofwl}
Others of course have put them straight in with oldies with not a problem.
I have added new girls twice and the first time being a novice it took 6 weeks before peace reigned ..I was near to tears .The second time 3 weeks ..gently gently .
Good luck .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
perchy

Post by perchy »

I always seperate too, I cannot bear it when they get really vicious, it does bate off but takes time in my experience )t'

Just ensure if any damage is done you stem bleeding as quick as you can, sadly they bleed quickly from combs etc.

Lovely girls {hug}
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I agree, separate until you think they may be ok together. The slower the better I've found. Having said all that i've still got 2 bantams separate from 2 ex coms since end of September. (the bantams are soooo tiny) :?
LYN
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Thanks all )t'

Will separate them again tomoz then .

At dusk they wasnt to bad and all went to bed ok but a guess as the light fails they calm down so will let them mingle again for 15 minutes and go to bed together .

One worry , if they are fenced off all day (see picture) they are in a covered run so wont get wet but will be out in the cold all day is this a problem ?

The warrens and ex bats like to go in the coop 1/2 of the day when its windy
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Absolutely not, they will be fine, hardy little things chooks )t'
LYN
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Fine looking Chickens :-D :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Thanks Richard )t'

Well i over slept this morning and expected a blood bath in the coop .

All silent when i approached then the usual bok bok clucking and i let them out .

All together no barrier , and nothing happened ! Been watching for 20 minutes and the ex bat dispite her lighter frame seems to have got the title of "top hen" .

A stare at the light sussex she has been attacking and her backing away from first grab at the food and thats it ....so far .

There might be the odd scuffle if they cross paths but i think i will let them all stay together its nothing like yesterdays nightmare !
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

That's great )t'

You may find your quiet little bottom hen will try to up her place in the pecking order with the arrival of the newbies.

Lovely chooks :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

She is a very clever quiet little hen as well .

She has worked out that after i put the dishes of food out in the run (which she gets last pickings of ) i go back in the shed to put the lids back on the food tubs so she legs it threw the pop hole and starts clucking until i open the shed door and hand feed her .

I dont do it all the time but have done over weekend when the new additions were un settling her .

I cannot believe how well it all went (over quickly) they all get along fine apart from the odd squabble at treat time .
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My little bottom hen is the same Drummy - she's worked out that if she follows me around she's likely to get a few sneaky treats and will dash into the shed where I keep the feed, corn and mealworms before the others

They are clever girls when it comes to treats!

Good to hear intros went smoothly, and here's to continuing harmony! )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

These lovely light sussex ladies were so clean white and beautiful a week ago .

Looked in the coop just before dark and both of them were as black as the Ace of spades .

They have managed to dig a rather big hole and have been dust bathing themselves this afternoon {rofwl}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely new girls )t' Are THEY going to get names?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

I've always kept new hens separate for a couple of months. My lot are vicious, and the newbies usually escape to the coop when they start laying, but have to be rescued and put back in their own corner. Eventually they sort of mix in and the chasing and pecking gets less till they settle down. We get there in the end. :-D
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Out of the eight , only 4 have names yet..

Maggie , chicken pie , cluck norris , eggwin .

An apt name will come to mind for the other 4 )t'