bl**dy cruel!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

bl**dy cruel!

Post by Chookaholic »

The more I see on chicken farming the more my hair stands on end

Most people know the story of the adult battery hen but i have never seen the cruel treatment of chicks : thrown around like their a tennis ball or something ! Made me mad! {mr.angry} {mr.angry} {mr.angry} {mr.angry}

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1402008343375641

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: bl**dy cruel!

Post by KathJ »

Sorry, can't even bear to watch it {cry} Imagining what they're doing makes me so sad and angry yike*
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Im sorry Kath {cry}

I have NEVER seen evidence of this before, i was shouting at my laptop and My daughter And Mr Chookaholic asked why i watched it : my answer was because people need educating!!

it has never once entered my thought process that the rescued hens we see start as a tiny yellow fuzz ball to become an egg laying "machine"... it has made me even more determined now to get my ruddy garden sorted to house some ex batties....

I keep having family members tell me ill have no garden left the way im going but i dont care :My garden was used for raising 5 kids and now theres just us here with older Daughters. Why sit and look at grass ? Ive ordered my ex batties and theyll be pampered to within an inch of their lives..

P>S. i was going to get 2 i am getting 4 ..... but dont tell the Mr )w(
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Ex bats on the way .....cool )t'

I feel sorry for the male Battery Hen chicks , there just waste products and get killed at one day old {cry}
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have always been concerned for all the boys. They are difficult to rehome and usually end up in the pot, sadly.
The plight of the male chicks in the battery system is beyond belief and the general public should be aware of what is happening in their name.
But often those chicks that have s.ex linked genes, whatever, and show at birth they are boys are culled.
What gives us the right ? to kill babies.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Agree Wendy .

I,ve seen the videos on you tube as they are destroyed either gassed or put through a grinder }hairout{
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

wendy wrote:I have always been concerned for all the boys. They are difficult to rehome and usually end up in the pot, sadly.
The plight of the male chicks in the battery system is beyond belief and the general public should be aware of what is happening in their name.
But often those chicks that have s.ex linked genes, whatever, and show at birth they are boys are culled.
What gives us the right ? to kill babies.

it boils down to economics - if re-homing home hatched cockerels is a problem, imagine on a much greater scale when the investment is in egg laying. Surprisingly I don't have a problem with culling, but I do if it is not done quickly and humanely. Sadly, I think out of public eye a lot of animals suffer unnecessarily.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

LL has hit the nail on the head. How many times on this forum do we see people who have hatched chicks desperate to find homes for the boys?? I've done it myself hatched chicks (ONCE) never ever again, I ended up with three boys and could only keep one. My friend did the deed for me, and truthfully, I'll never forgive myself for it. What options did I have - no one would rehome them. I was worried that they might have ended up in wrong hands.

The food industry is based on (amongst other thing) supply and demand. If you were producing hens for the industry and ended up with 30,000+ male birds what would you do? Its sad that they only live a day, but if you have ever seen a couple of male birds fighting and getting all dominant what a bloodbath it would be with thousands more living together.

So regardless of whether you eat caged hen eggs, barn eggs or free range eggs (with the exception of your own, I mean) we are all guilty of being part of the process.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That poor little baby at the end, calling for its mother. {cry}
Although its sickening to think of the fate of the males, so long as their death is quick
and painless I think they're the lucky ones compared with the fate of the females - the
awful life and death they face. I have a friend that says "don't tell me I don't want to
know" so she doesn't have to shop with a conscience, which really annoys me.
At least with social media & forums like this more people get to know the truth behind
mass production & cheap food.

ones of the worlds lucky chicks - what a difference.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

It was the little fuzz ball cheeping at the end that did it for me too {cry}

Drummy ive seen them thrown into a grinder also and I was shouting at the screen . I find it unbelievable that someone would do it for a job my pockets would be full!

and Kitla i think youre right the boys are the lucky ones when you consider what the girls are put through and the sorry state they become. I have had a lot of family and friends message me as I put a rescued hen on my FB page . She has literally a handful of feathers, was white as a sheet and couldnt stand. No one would rehome her. Thankfully she is doing great ! Everyone was really worried for her but she is a fighter.

I think the more people see this even though it is heartbreaking the more good it will do
Phoenix82
Lively Laner

Post by Phoenix82 »

I had to turn it off,heartbreaking {cry}
Wife of one,Mum of two.
5 assorted Pekin Bantams,1 White star,1 Bluebell,1 Black Rock Hybrid
1 Lurcher,1 old Tom,1 Tabby Cat
Desperate for some Indian Runners!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I started playing the video, the way the the American lady was speaking reminded me of being in Epcot Centre which is where they should be showing this, preferably in The Land or The Wonders of Life section! They tell you all about how awe inspiring every they and nature does so this should be included! Realised I didn't want to have another 3 nights of nightmares so I stopped it. Last time I was horrified and given nightmares was seeing a photo of Mary the elephant being hung. Humans certainly are the most loving and compassionate creatures but also the most cruel and compassionless arent we {cry} }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

kitla wrote: I have a friend that says "don't tell me I don't want to
know"

Yes , but aren't we all like that about something. 'I can't do anything about it so I don't want to think about it'.
E.g. I've no idea what's in my Layers Pellets, though I know that farming for soya canbe a problem.
E.g. things are getting better now, but twenty years ago it wasn't easy to buy free range eggs & meat, and sustainably caught fish. But husbands expect the cupboard to be full.
E.g. the man who sells me Point-of-Lay hens rears them from day-old. So where does he get day-olds from?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

i have seen something similar to this and vowed never to watch anything like it again once was enough and i also think that before the hatching season comes upon us again thinking of fluffy babies and all the cute fuzz balls we so love to see ,remember at least one will be a boy unless s.ex linked so anyone thinking of hatching try to have a plan for the boys that has a happy ending )t' i spend so much time trying to find homes for boys as do others i know but there is only so much you can do >ch<
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

aceface wrote:remember at least one will be a boy unless s.ex linked

And they still will be boys, but you can tell by their colour as soon as they hatch.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire