Fox warning

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Fox warning

Post by Skeksis »

Not that anyone really needs me to say this but please be extra vigilant with locking up your hens. I have a bloody fox that is visiting my garden a minimum of three times during the day at the moment and at night too. I know that if I am even a bit careless or let my guard down, my hens will be gone.

julie62
Legendary Laner

Re: Fox warning

Post by julie62 »

well said - I've spent the afternoon in the garden with mine but just put them back in the run - they're grumbling but you're right it's easy to slip up then the sun's shining and no sign of danger about. Better safe than sorry.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I hear them quite a bit behind the hedge behind the Coop.

They're very noisy some evenings.

Just do your daily check, ensure as much as you can the fox can't in.

I love Foxes, just because they are of no use to us either for work or food we slag them off. At least they kill for food, not like our little moggies who 90% of the time just kill....period!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Can anyone tell me what a fox sounds like? About 5.30 this morning we heard barking. I presumed it was a dog as there's a footpath the other side of the field at the bottom of our garden and dog walkers are often along there. However, my husband thought it could have been a fox but we're unsure if they bark like a dog or not >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A kind of shreaky bark Kath, often short bursts.

During mating season the vixen will scream loudly during mating. They often 'get stuck' and can't free themselves, they go back to back

[center][youtube]UxLHUxzEoRU[/youtube][/center]

(see how the little one climbed up the cage / wire !!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Richards that was really helpful as the following night we were woken up at 1.30am by a fox 'shreaking' what felt like under the bedroom window. Hubbie was up quick as a flash hanging out of the window but couldn't actually see anything in the garden and there was no sign it had been in the next morning. We think it had been in the field at the end. Has anyone tried the fox scarer things that are for sale? We're thinking we might get one to position at the end of the run towards the field but I'm worried that the girls will be frightened by the sound they give out as it says it can be heard by animals but not humans. I be grateful for comments if anyone has experience of using one of these devices. Thanks
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx