noise: please help :(

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

noise: please help :(

Post by Chookaholic »

Hello loves

I have a warren who is currently trying to be the loudest opera singer in the history of the planet ..she has been moulting , quite heavily and is starting to feather up but the noise she is making is driving me round the twist so it must be getting on my neighbours nerves ... If I go out or she sees me in the kitchen the volume goes higher (never thought it was possible!) }hairout{

Apart from a ball gag does anyone have any advice for me ? I love my chooks so for her to be getting on my nerves it has to be bad {cry}

bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Re: noise: please help :(

Post by bmpsands »

II'm sorry she is getting on your nerves. My loudest lady is a Light Sussex and I can hear her from the far end of the village when I'm walking the dogs. Mercifully she only sings after laying an egg or when one of the other hens is in her preferred laying place and she wants them to move.

You're making an assumption about your neighbours. If your girl is feeling shonky following her moult and before coming back into lay it may only be a temporary problem. Was she like this before? Would your neighbours perhaps be prepared to tolerate the noise if they knew it wasn't for ever? I guess if you have either invalids or babies in the area they might be a bit stressed.

During lambing at the farm next door we eventually stopped noticing the noise coming from the large metal shed that is literally 8ft from our garden wall. This is because we WERE the neighbours so weren't feeling guilty. The lady farmer apologised, but we told her that it didn't bother us and everyone was happy.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Bea's right, some neighbours actually like the sound of Chickens, gives them the rural feel.

On the noise front I'm afraid it's a 50 / 50...she'll either stop or she won't !

I've never heard of any solutions I'm afraid.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I find with mine they're noisy when they know I'm about - as soon as they hear me open the kitchen door they start chunnering to be let out/given something to eat etc. If I manage to creep up on them they are usually quiet just making a noise when they lay or are frightened by something. So they may not be as noisy as you think - just when you're around. They're very good at manipulating us !
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I have had very noisy girls in the past. Quite a lot my lot will start up when no ones laying, at least when they are talking they are well
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
davefeeney
Learner Laner

Post by davefeeney »

had my ladies for 3 weeks now and apart from a noise when their laying eggs
and who can blame them for that :-D their quite quiet, in fact we heard them purr,
today and when you think they were ex batts and the life they had, it kind of brought a lump to my throat as they are now so happy and content living with us, and away from the nightmare they use to endure.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

That little purr is the best sound ever eh? That and the happy-chicky-I've-just-found-a-treat chuckle is pretty great too :-D

We've got chickens all over our village, so nobody worries about noise here and the bloomin dogs from the surrounding gardens make more noise than anything else anyway. Plus kids. They make a lot of noise too :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Hi Chookaholic

Any improvement in the last week? I've been more aware of noise since reading your post and I've actually asked our closest neighbours about it. Top noise complained about was the local parachuting club plane that circles round for hours whenever the conditions are right, the boy racers zipping along the main road and the firework display to celebrate the recent death of one of our locals (but that's another story). Hens came nowhere in the list.

Did you discover if the Warren was noisy when you aren't about? I thought that was a good point.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Lorna Doone
Lively Laner

Post by Lorna Doone »

Also see my post about the gakel-call )w( I sympathise as my hens are all noisy blighters - the slightest thing sets them off - a dog bark, a lawnmower, the neighbours sitting in their garden chatting yike*