Any last minute advice?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Any last minute advice?

Post by PixieDust »

Tomorrow we go to chose and bring home the Chix. Do you have any last minute advice please?
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Any last minute advice?

Post by kitla »

position your garden chair appropriately & make sure your camera is charged up!
most of all - enjoy them!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

Make sure you have plenty of time to sit and enjoy them ...let them come to you ..just be around them.
Other than that ...well just make sure nobody expects you to do housework, make meals ...you know all those incidental things that will get in the way of sitting with chooks )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

First, prepare to enjoy them.
But, as Manda said, don't rush them. Put them inside the house and let them find their own way out to the food and water that you put near the door. Don't worry if the stay in there for a while though you are longing to see them scratching around. It will all be a bit strange to them - they thought they knew where they live then.... Let them decide that this is home. If they find their way out they have some chance of finding their own way back in at bedtime. A small run is good at first. When they know that then in a few days time you can let them out to free range (if you have plants you want scratched up!). First time let them out at dusk and they won't stray far as they'll be thinking about roosting.

Hens aren't lapdogs, so don't expect to pet them, but they are curious and if you move gently and sometimes bring them what they want they will remember and look out for you as soon as the kitchen door clicks.

Don't overdo the treats. Pellets and greens (if they don't have grass) and maybe a very small amount of corn at bedtime in winter (to digest slowly through the long night).

Have fun. And let us share the excitement of all the Firsts.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you all for you helpful replies. I will take my watching duties VERY seriously )t'
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

If you haven't already - get some good wellies and identify a jacket that can be kept for chicken chores. At this time of year especially you'll find both invaluable. Mind you, it's awkward when visitors arrive and find you looking like a bag-person. I always say they should think themselves lucky not to see me first thing. Pyjamas, dressing gown, chicken jacket, old mud caked wellies and on special occasions a rather fetching woolly hat!
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

I have some boots but not wellies. Got plenty of jackets that are old that I can use. Got rubber gloves.

Ooh quick question; can you use detox wet wipes on the perches and floor? I have poultry shield but in the cold damp weather I don't want to make the house wet and not dry before the roost at night.
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

In between a thorough clean ( bearing in mind that I have a recycled plastic coup ) I always wipe round with disinfectant wipes and my gorgeous ladies are still fine almost 2 years on. Its a very useful and effective means of cleaning. I would add that I make sure that there is plenty of ventilation for the disinfectant smell to dry out before they use the coup again later. have so much fun......... )t' :-D
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh, don't forget the head torch )like( very very useful for these dark mornings and night especially when poo picking )w(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you all so much for your advice. See you on the other side!
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Have fun picking your girls up today Pixiedust, they will soon crawl into your heart.
Amber.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Am I too late? Probably. You should do a visual health check. Good feathers obviously, and none missing from the tail. Red comb (unless it is a breed with a different coloured comb) bright open eyes, no discharge from nostrils, and CLEAN LEGS. This tends to be the most common fault you will find. It also means the bird is not a spring chicken. You have to look harder if the bird has feathered legs but you should still be able to see horny lifted scales, if there are any. And also of course you should see that the bird is moving around normally before you select it. Another thing to look out for is a drooping undercarriage. If the vent is visible don't buy!
As to breeds I suppose you have already selected, or have an idea of the type of chuck you are looking for. Just remember that different breeds have different temperaments. You mightn't want to end up with chickens that are constantly flying out of the run or are particularly noisy.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Good luck with your new girls and don't forget to let us know what you get. Most of all enjoy them.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

They are home!

And I changed my mind several times but I finally chose a Withy Blue, (Bluebell), a Withy Sussex, (Light Sussex), a Withy Copper, (Black Copper Maran), and a rank outsider a Withy Columbine, (Cotswold Legbar). All hybrids of course.

They settled in the house very well and gave me a couple of the smelly poos lol.

Pictures to follow.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oohhh, lucky you )like( now the fun really begins. Prepare to lose hours of your day just watching them but most of all enjoy them >fi<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx