Anniversary for Bluebell

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jackian
Legendary Laner

Anniversary for Bluebell

Post by jackian »

It is a year today since I brought home the lovely bluebell . She was about 20 weeks old.

She joined my little back garden flock with a speckldey called Shadow who sadly went back to the farm a few weeks later due to being constantly broody . So mixed in on her own with no problem .
She is such a lovely girl and has laid me an egg a day since March last year only missing 5 days .
The only problem is if it is one. After a year she still won't let me any where near her .. She hides under a bush or scuttles away like a bat out of hell if I get any where near. I have never stroked her or picked her up. They all get on really well together and have a lovely big coup with 2 nest boxes but she goes every day into my spare home for new girls which is a small plastic dog kennel and lays her egg. No noise , no " I'm going to lay my egg" just quietly goes and lays it always in the morning .
I love her to bits and she like all my girls is so beautiful .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

Wozzer
Lively Laner

Re: Anniversary for Bluebell

Post by Wozzer »

Aw, maybe she's just shy? What a sweety :-D
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Oddly enough, my Bluebelle (Scary) is the only hen of the original 4 that I haven't been able to get near to pick her up - maybe it's the breed?
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

She's beautiful. We lost our gorgeous Bluebelle over Christmas and they could have been sisters they're so alike {hug} Our Bluebelle was really nervous when we first got her about 3 years ago but after a while she started to come round and she used to let us pick her up and give her a bum bath as she always had a dirty bum >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

My Bluebell is quite nervy but I have persisted with picking all mine up since day one - well I was a bit scared of the Sussex so left her just over a week but OH picked her up. My Columbine sits along my arm without me holding her. The Sussex is getting much better as is the Bluebell. I massage their back and what would be the shoulder area and their crop and they quite like it.

Saying all this I can lean on the coop quietly and they will all come up on the roof and be very friendly to me. They are not scared of me.
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Happy belated anniversary bluebelle {hug} Yep my bluebelle is the scardiesty girl I have too
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Milzy241
Lively Laner

Post by Milzy241 »

We had 2 bluebells but sadly they are no longer with us. They are a gorgeous breed aren't they. Ours never became tame, they seemed very happy ignoring us and simply going about their business.