and I said they'd retired from egg laying !

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

and I said they'd retired from egg laying !

Post by Richard »

I haven't had an egg since about September and resigned myself to them retiring in old age (ex-batts 4 years old plus).

I lost one last week which took me down to two - then out of the blue, this morning there was a warm egg waiting for me !!

Just shows you never can tell.

If I get any more, great. If I don't, that's what I'm expecting and they can graze away eggless for as long as they're able.

Richard :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: and I said they'd retired from egg laying !

Post by kitla »

a couple of my posh girls have started laying again after a winter break, but I really
hope my ex bat doesn't start again - ever! She's so happy just living & her eggs
give her lots of problems.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
scbk
Lively Laner

Post by scbk »

I hate to rub it in, but I get too many eggs, can never give them away fast enough!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Don't worry, I've had that T-Shirt !!

At one time I had 30 ex-batts, but over the last 4 / 5 years had 7 max.
In fact, I think this is the first time in probably 16 years I've been in this situation, but that's because I'm not replacing them this time.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am not expecting my elderly skyline to lay again, although I wasnt expecting her to restart last spring either, and I had an egg virtually every day until winter!

My other two chooks are just laying every couple of days, which gives me a steady trickle of eggs :-D

Having had 8 chooks at one time, I only have the three now, and like you Richard, wasnt going to replace them, but am now thinking that when I am down to two, I will get 2 more. I will see.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Same here Richard, I am down to two girls also, no eggs since early last year!, over the last seven days I have had 5 eggs! >shrug< , (have been looking for the little red lion mark, just in case my boys are planting them, so far all clear!! )grin2( )
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Richard

Post by Richard »

)like(
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

None of my 3 girls are laying yet and do admit that I miss that good feeling of finding an egg in the nest box.
One of mine didn't lay at all last year and I think that she has probably finished. Strangely, she has for last few days taken to sitting in the nest, hopefully to show the others that it is once again that time of year. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

I,m getting 6-7 eggs a day from 8 hens , the lowest count over winter was 3 eggs .

Three of my 8 are ex bats (not that old) 2 one year out and the other 1 , 18 months but i think all three must be still laying by the egg count >coc<

Big heads up for ex batts mine really enjoy there life and i will always have some in my flock and do my bit {hug&kiss}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Silkiebabe was laying last autumn and she was born Nov 2003!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/