hens and the heat

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

hens and the heat

Post by kitla »

How are your hens coping? & anyone got any tips?
Mine are all panting a bit but Treacle the Orpington is really suffering. They've
had some corn cobs, grapes & melon bits from the fridge, I'm going to put
some ice cubes in the water bowl they have in their shady patch under the trees.
But Treacle was panting so hard I sat her in some cold water & wet her comb &
under her wings, I don't know what else to do.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

manda

Re: hens and the heat

Post by manda »

You can freeze 2 litre bottles (or bigger) and then lay them in the run for them to lie up against...keeps them cool without wetting their wings.

Cat litter trays or that kind of thing with a bit of water in are good for them to stand in drink out of too.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

Mine are really hot too and one of mine is struggling, I have been out with the cold water and ice, bless her, panting and really beak breathing, I did see on fb that we shouldn't be giving corn on the cob at the moment as it heats them up, I have given it I am afraid but maybe will lay off for a bit maybe give some peas instead, have been to get a cucumber for them, goodness its hot )t'
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear I thought that was just dried corn. I also have 3 stubborn broodys so they've
been given a water dish each & I've dabbed iced water on their combs.
I've also just put a dish of pellets where they are sheltering so they don't have to
leave the shade & I was pleased to see Treacle tuck in, so at least she's not so bad
she cant eat. Is it ok to give them frozen peas?
Thank goodness there's a bit of wind with it too!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Don't forget pea bobbing...
A bowl of water with peas (or any other chopped veg . ) in . They eat the peas and you know they are taking in water at the same time ,
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh Kitla, don't panic I have been giving it too and I also thought it was just dried corn, but who knows, peas are good although mine prefer sweetcorn {rofwl}

Mine are all panting now bless them, mind you I am dripping with sweat and I havn't got a duvet on!!!
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

Spare a thought for thousands of girls in sheds........ {cry}
perchy

Post by perchy »

Katiee wrote:Spare a thought for thousands of girls in sheds........ {cry}

Hubby and I did exactly that when we were out for a drive today, we both said it when we went past a barn (not a chicken shed by the way) it just reminded me of them {cry}
manda

Post by manda »

I hate that the sheds exist with a passion but the irony is that they are probably fairing better than yours as the sheds are temperature controlled....about the only thing that is a positive for them.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

manda wrote:

I hate that the sheds exist with a passion but the irony is that they are probably fairing better than yours as the sheds are temperature controlled....about the only thing that is a positive for them.

Yesterday I happened to be looking up pesticides when I came across the Defra site for Heat Stress in Poultry On reading the document, temperature control is more to do with increasing air movement, and reducing stock levels before an anticpated forecast heatwave. There is a time table at the back for farmers about what to look out and how to proceed.

perchy wrote:I did see on fb that we shouldn't be giving corn on the cob at the moment as it heats them up

oops - my girls got both frozen peas and sweetcorn kernels in water, and they've also been enjoying strawberries, pear, apple, cucumber, lettuce ... I'm expecting egg numbers to plummet but as they can be easily dehydrated while panting, I'm okay with that.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

One of mine was beak breathing a bit but was alright. I now only have two so I let them into our garden where there are shrubs. Before letting them in, I hosed the ground under their favourite bush, just enough to cool it, and they spent lots of time there.

A couple of plants got trampled on so I took them out to give them a pathway. Not too much damage that way. Plenty of water around the garden and in their run, so I think they were contented. Must have been OK as the cat joined them.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

We are lucky to have a large clump of mature leyllandii trees (?spelling) I hate this tree but they provide lots of dark shade and are also completely rainproof so good for hens all year. They just lie up all day and I take them iced pea bobbing tubs and also cold cooked bean shoots which they love. They look hot but no real worries and Blacktail has chosen a good time to moult. Their house is just far to hot so every aperture is wide open and gets closed last thing. I have put old oven shelves across two of the windows in the hope of keeping the fox out but it is always a worry. They are drinking well - like us - so we should all be fine.

Shame about the ladies football team {cry} {cry}

Mike
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Two of my six were beak breathing (both game girls and dark in colour). I lightly sprayed them with water, offered frozen peas in a bath of water, chunks of melon and grapes from the fridge, hosed down their patio and watered the perches and part of their run that is in the shade. They were fine by bedtime and today is much cooler and no sign of distress. I hope that was the hottest day and temperatures get back to normal soon.

It is a worry isn't it when the temperature gets up this high!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , My girls do not seem to bothered , sunbathing wings out . visit to the turtle sand tray with water in it a bottom of a cage (tray ) full of water , pond water , water tri pods and bowls all over. They do seem to try and bunch up under plastic chairs , nest boxes , fence shadows . They still run/fly at the back door when I come out. cabbage ,bannanas and water melon skins / seeds.
bBys still chasing each other at every oppertunity and eyes on the girls . waiting to ponce . My sheds are feathered and old so gaps for ventilation. I thought they could cool themselves down with feathers though . How do the wild birds cope..
eggs are down but not by much 12 today.
Bob
perchy

Post by perchy »

perchy wrote:Mine are really hot too and one of mine is struggling, I have been out with the cold water and ice, bless her, panting and really beak breathing, I did see on fb that we shouldn't be giving corn on the cob at the moment as it heats them up, I have given it I am afraid but maybe will lay off for a bit maybe give some peas instead, have been to get a cucumber for them, goodness its hot )t'

Lost Penny last night, sleep tight {cry}