URGEN HELP REQUIRED

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

URGEN HELP REQUIRED

Post by chookmike »

One of our last two is in trouble today - off her feet, off her food, purple comb. Eyes and nose clean and clear. Tail down.

She is sleepy but responsive.

Rebecca sees them at laying time more than I do, and is sure she is egg bound despite not laying for 6 months plus. The other hen suddenly produced a softie the other day after a similar length in retirement

Is there anything to be done? We don't want to start poking around. She is 4 and we have to accept it might be her time, but if there is a chance then we'll take it.

Thanks

Mike

ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Re: URGEN HELP REQUIRED

Post by ChickenCarol »

Oh no! I can't help but didn't want to not respond. Hopefully some one with experience of this will be along soon.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've never had an egg bound hen before but I'm sure I've read that a warm bath can help or sitting them on a warm (but not too hot) hot water bottle.

Hope she improves soon {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
perchy

Post by perchy »

Yes mike warm bath as long as she can stand it, dry her with a towel and then a hairdryer, hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and then sit her on it so its warm rather than hot, may help relax her, honey water on a spoon dribble it on her beak, see if the went is pulsing, if it is it could also be a softy )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thanks all. She did a strange yellow poo and took herself off to bed. Hopefully that was the basis of a yolk? We'll see in the morning and all advice is understood.

Cheers

Mike
perchy

Post by perchy »

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index. ... ic=17568.0

Lets hope she passes the rest without too much problem )t'
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Best wishes , let us all know how you get on. we all get the same problems on what is the root cause and best way to treat it .
I end up giving everything and not knowing what worked , did not .
Best again .
Bob
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thanks for your interest, but we really can't fathom this one out. Briefly:

Never left her bed today.

Comb rosy again

Sitting with toes in clench

Gets up with toes open and feet flat if some nice food arrives

Awake and aware with bright eyes.

Yellow watery poop. No 'pulsing' or beak breathing.

Old age? Dementia? Bored? Frightened?

No mites, no worms

We are out of ideas so just wait and see I guess

Cheers

Mike
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

The first thing a vet would likely do is take her temperature, you can often tell if
it's raised by feeling under her wings & belly. If that's the case I would think she
has an infection somewhere.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

Could be EYP....Kidney infection maybe?

You could send off a sample of droppings - could give an indication of anything suspect and vet something to work off.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thanks again.

Her temperature is normal and R reports poop more normal (I've been out all day) but still hasn't left her bed. She drinks but won't eat so that will do for her soon I guess. She stands if disturbed and offered food and feet are flat. Not enough time for pathology on poop but thanks Manda.

Her comb went a very very deep purple last night but much better this evening. I have felt her belly very carefully and cannot detect anything wrong although I have no experience of finding anything wrong with a hen in this regard. Crop empty of course. The others that died went really quickly so why she is lasting is a mystery..

We'll see
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

How is she now, Mike?
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thanks for asking Hen Pen.

Well, this hen is getting through her 9 lives but never gives up!

She spent 3 days without moving an inch, just sitting facing into the corner of her bedroom. Her comb went beyond purple and was practically black. I considered 'the kindest thing' but something told me to hang on - she has done this before but nowhere near as serious. We gave her water from an eye dropper and learnt that if you drop the water on the beak they take it in as it runs down, which is so much easier than forcing the beak open, and more pleasant for the hen. We checked her very regularly expecting to find her cold every time. She wouldn't eat anything we could think of until about the third go with scrambled egg, which she suddenly tucked into with gusto. Half an hour she was standing with toes open, next day she left the bedroom and the day after that came out into the sunshine!

Off to the supermarket for eggs - free range of course - plus her other old favourites such as yoghurt, sardines, tinned tomato, spaghetti (chopped up small - they think they are worms) and rice. Plus pellets of course.

She is now eating better than me and is on her feet all day apart from a sun bathe or attempt at a dust bath. Tail is down mostly but almost up when food is served. Comb far from normal but much better. They are free in the garden when we are in - neither of them have the strength to damage anything anymore. She will run for bugs and eats the grass. Poop is variable but obviously no blockages. No sign of anything egg related.

So, I am looking at her roaming around in the sunshine and I would say she feels that life is worthwhile. She sticks close to Head Girl or us apart from chasing the cat but all is well, or nearly well, once more. Obviously at 4 years she could go at any time and we are realistic about hens.

I'm stuck close to the radio to listen to us beat Australia in the cricket and the work can wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest and have a lovely weekend!

Mike
manda

Post by manda »

They never cease to amaze do they !!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny